Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Wont Turn On!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

I took out my motherboard to install a new PSU. well..... the PSU was DOA so I put the old one back in.... now, my PC still wont turn on... Im not sure if everything is plugged in CORRECTLY (i.e. the ribbon looking cords). I dont know what I did. was it the screwdriver? wtf happened. hopefully it's just a wrong plug.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

OM! 15 views... no replies......

Edited by KoanYorel, 09 August 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

I took out my motherboard to install a new PSU. well..... the PSU was DOA so I put the old one back in.... now, my PC still wont turn on... Im not sure if everything is plugged in CORRECTLY (i.e. the ribbon looking cords). I dont know what I did. was it the screwdriver? wtf happened. hopefully it's just a wrong plug.

You can start by makeing sure both power cords to the motherboard are firmly in place.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

OK I think i've kinda narrowed it down. The Cords that run from the power switch to the motherboard. they got crossed. I dont know where they go. or rather i dont know where each cord goes on the motherboard.

I'm pretty sure that my board is a ECS 865PE-A (V2.0)

oh yeah. is it possible that I could have like killed my motherboard by using a screwdriver with a magnetised tip? cuz I did.

Edited by mooniniteman, 09 August 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#5 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

hello? .........!

Edited by KoanYorel, 09 August 2006 - 10:39 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

mooniniteman,

Your behavior in the one thread alone is unacceptable. Your constant use of inferred profanity is against the forum rules. I will excerpt the relevent one, for you.

There will be no use of profanity on our message boards. This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the entire contents of the rules if you continue to post here at Bleeping Computer. I will give you the link for ease of finding it. Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

Suffice it to say that your demand for immediate assistance and monitoring of views for acceptable limits prior to a reply is and will no longer be tolerated. You will post in a civilized manner and accept the replies from volunteer members on their time not yours. If you desire clarification for anything I have stated up to this point do not hesitate to PM me or any other staff member.

Animal, Forum Moderator

Edited by Animal, 09 August 2006 - 10:33 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

Okay sweet - this is continued from your other thread...

Nah, wouldn't think so - I am pretty sure my screw driver is too, and I actually dropped it on the motherboard by accident. Still works - they are pretty resilliant.

Don't mean to ask an obvious one, but does the PSU have an on/off switch, and is it turned on?

I don't think the ribbons would be wrong - usually IDE cables go in only one way (because of the tab that sticks out). The FDD one might be around the wrong way, but that wouldn't stop it from booting.

First things first...
1. Disconnect everything uneccessary, including:
a. Optical drives
b. Hard and Floppy drives
c. card readers etc.
2. Remove expansion cards unless ABSOLUTELY necessary
a. Remove video card if you have on board video
b. remove sound cards, modems, network, USB cards etc etc
3. All that should be plugged into power is:
a. MoBo
b. CPU Power and CPU fan
4. Leave your RAM in and connect your monitor and mouse
a. disconnect any other devices (ie. modems, gamepads, usb devices (excluding mouse & keyboard) , printers etc)
5. Check all is connected properly and that the PSU and wall power are switched ON.
6. Now power up your system using the normal power button.

What happens?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

welll. nothing, it was working this morning so the PSU isnt dead (it's the old one)

the wires COMIG from the power switch that hook on to the motherboard. they are separated.and labeled. The one labeled "Power LED" has three "female connectors" the rest have two. and are labeled as follows. HDD LED, Power SW, Reset SW. do they have to be arranged in a specific way? on a specific port?

and there is no power switch on this particular PSU.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

I see what you're talking about now! Okay, so you probably have the powerswitch cables incorrectly connected.
Yes they do go in a specific spot. If you check your MoBo manual, it should tell you where.
If you don't have one of those, look for a set of pins near the edge of the board, usually at the furthest point from the CPU slot.
You may need a torch (and maybe a magnifier) but it will identify what each set of pins is for in (usually) white capital letters on the MOBO. The important one of course is PWR, which corresponds to Power SW. The rest should correspond.
Now when you plug them in (which can be fidley), if they don't work, all it means is that it is around the wrong way.
You can't do any damage if you're careful (make sure the PSU is unplugged before you start playing around in there), so have a go and let us know.
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

Thanks JP. It runs on now. But *sigh another problem. it starts. show my current GPU BIOS Version then goes to the normal startup screen. and AMAZINGLY.... shuts down all by itself like magic. it's times like these when that sledgehammer almost becomes my friend. lol

Also I forgot to mention earlier. The same thing might have happened to the two extra USB ports on the bottom. they are also labeled. I'll list them if necessary, but they go to a different spot on the mobo. I do have a manual. .pdf but Idont know where to look for that. it's not very detailed.

I removed the extra USB power cables but it does the same thing thing. GPU BIOS then shuts down. :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :huh: :cool: :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by mooniniteman, 10 August 2006 - 03:46 PM.

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Okay, so at least we know now that the MoBo isn't fried - that's a good thing. And I figure that your monitor is connected to your new video card - so at least that is functioning!
We'll concentrate on getting your OS going before we worry about the USB connections...

So....do you have your primary HDD connected to the correct IDE port on the MoBo? And is the power connected to that particular HDD?
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#12 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

Okay update..... I found out why it was shutting down. the heatsink/fan wasn't fully attached causing the cpu to quickly heat to almost boiling. it would hit about 90-93 (which made me decide to buy a better coolin system) then I guess enable safety shut-off.

Now I have to figure out how the extar USB power cables go. there's 8 and they're labeled as follows

Set 1: POWER, D2+, D2-, GND

Set 2: POWER, D3+, D3-, GND

Oh yeah and everything is connected.

Edited by mooniniteman, 10 August 2006 - 04:24 PM.

#13 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, that sounds about rigth for USB cabling - if your MoBo isn't labelled (the connections for USb won't be too far away from the power connections, and should also be near the edge) you will need the manual to get the connections right.....
If you want, let me know the exact model of your motherboard so I can get a copy of the PDF manual, and it might make things a bit easier....

:thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#14 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

oddly enough, I know how to et a mobo manual. but I couldn't figure out where to put the switch cables. I mainly use it for my Saitek X52 when I play Falcon 4.0. But I think I'll just play Half-life 2 till tomorrow. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users