Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Button does not work after waking up.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nintendo25

Nintendo25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hello, I am having an issue with my Start button, and taskbar in general. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and when I first boot up, everything is fine. I can use the Start button, the search bar, and everything else in the taskbar. However, if I put it in Sleep Mode, and wake it back up, The Start button and search bar do not function, and I can't right click on any icons on the task bar. 

I've tried many of the fixes posted around the Internet and this site, but nothing seems to work. Only restarting the computer brings back the functionality, until of course I put it in Sleep again. 

Some things I've tried include running powershell and typing in this command: 

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I've tried restarting the Application Identity service, which did nothing. 

Iv'e also tried this command in the Command Prompt (Admin) : 

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

I can't seem to fix the issue without rebooting. I can still use the computer while the Start button isn't working, but accessing certain things becomes somewhat of a nuisance. Any help would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

Install latest version of graphic card and chipset drivers.

Posted Image

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:05 AM

Hello, I am having an issue ...

, The Start button and search bar do not function, and I can't right click on any icons on the task bar. 

I've tried many of the fixes posted around the Internet and this site, but nothing seems to work. Only restarting the computer brings back the functionality, until of course I put it in Sleep again. 
I've tried restarting the Application Identity service, which did nothing. 

There is nothing to repair. You must do a clean install now. That's the only way.
It means, wipe whole partition, then reformat and instal new clean Windows from DVD or USB. 
Before You begin wipe, move documents, pictures and important downloads to some other place. For example, make one other partion for them, if You already don't have.

Edited by kaljukass, 04 June 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

Op you don't have to clean install to repair this issue i believe this issue has something to do with device driver update them all if issue not resolved you can repair install Windows 10.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Try the suggestions at this link:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Nintendo25

Nintendo25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:09 AM

I followed the instructions on both links (since I wasn't sure what the problem was), and I also updated my drivers, the ones that needed updated anyway. The problem hasn't reoccurred since, so something appears to have done the trick. Thanks, everyone! 

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:18 AM

You are very welcome we are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Take Care!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users