Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 not2techsavvy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

I have an old laptop (HP Compaq nx7400) that's running Windows XP.  I know it's pretty worthless.  Any advice on what to do with it?  I've read some ideas online like installing Linux OS or something but I'm not bright enough to do that. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,059 posts
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I would ask this question in the linux forum. There are BC Advisors in the linux forum that will be able to point you in the right direction. Puppy linux would run well on this computer.

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:28 AM

- Use it as a portable DVD player. If you need a DVD player application I'd suggest VLC Media Player.
- Use it as an emergency computer (eg: Your main computer goes down, and you need to access BleepingComputer.com to get assistance). Install a browser other than Internet Explorer since IE8 is way out of date.

- Set it up as a webserver, connect it to your local network, and run something useful to you on it.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Looking at HP's specs for this laptop, most of them shipped with 512Mb of RAM. If you can increase this to between 2 and 4 Gb (4 being the upper limit) you would have a laptop more than capable of running say Mint 17.3 XFCE. This, the current version of Mint with a fairly light weight desktop, is running reasonably well on a notebook with a 1GHz processor and 1 Gb of RAM. But as JohnC says, for more advice ask in the Linux section.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

I'll second the suggestion to run Puppy Linux; it would work quite well on a low-spec machine like that. I run multiple 'Pups', so I know whereof I speak! But as the others have stated, you will get a more satisfactory response in the Linux & Unix forum.

See you over there, perhaps..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 June 2016 - 06:26 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users