Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp - Svchost.exe Crash And No Sound Drivers!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LadyLyzar

LadyLyzar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hello everyone... This just started this morning and it is driving me crazy.

Not long after rebooting my computer, I get the following popup regarding svchost.exe:

The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Only options are OK (terminate) and cancel (debug, which apparently does nothing.)

Once I've dealt with the box, either way, my sound card drivers are no longer recognized by DirectX. If I am doing sound tests, they no longer work once I get this error. It says it could no longer find my sound card drivers.

Before it crashes, the culprit instance of svchost.exe starts getting ridiculously huge, like well over 100MB in size.

Antivirus scan comes up clean, Spybot S&D comes up clean, and I always have a firewall running.

Upgrading sound card drivers didn't do anything either. (Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS.)

System specs:
Windows XP Home
Dual-core Pentium D 3.0GHz
2 GB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Dual NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

Anyone have any ideas for me? It's driving me crazy as my games no longer have sounds... :-P

Lyz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

Please go to this site and download and install the latest DirectX

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

#3 LadyLyzar

LadyLyzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

Thanks ThorXP for the quick reply.

Leave it to me to overlook the obvious... I'd upgraded everything else but that.

HOWEVER as I was typing this message it just happened again. Still getting the popup box. However now Dxdiag won't even come up to let me test it.

Any other ideas?

Lyz.

edit: after rebooting was able to get dxdiag to come up again. Once the error happens, it still can no longer find my sound card drivers.

Edited by LadyLyzar, 09 August 2006 - 03:59 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Do you have all the Windows updates successfully installed including SP2 and subsequent updates?

#5 LadyLyzar

LadyLyzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I do. The computer is set to get all updates automatically and I checked the website just in case.

I dug around in my startup list and found something with no listed name or command, and disabled it. That seems to be the culprit, whatever it might be. Since turning that off I've had no more problems. Looking into that now since everything still comes up clean.

Thanks for helping out!

Lyz.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:11 AM

Use Startup Inspector and see if you can find out what ap or process was giving you the problem:

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#7 Shaneman

Shaneman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem, but I checked out my start up menu, and didn't see anything like what you described. I also have the most recent updates and everything, but no idea what's causing this.

#8 TheShabooski

TheShabooski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

I'm also having an svchost.exe error and it is saying that I have no sound card...weird thing is right when I start my computer the windows start up sound plays then I get the error. I've notice I also cannot get into system or system restore through the control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

TheShabooski - Please start another topic for your problem. Each computer is different and has different programs and hardware installed. Also, you may find it easier if you follow the instructions in this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18366/before-you-post-about-a-problem/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users