Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Libraries in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

Just upgraded to 10 from 7 and am still finding my way around, and I have a few questions.

In 7 I made extensive use of the Libraries to access my files. Most of my files are on the data partition so I used the libraries to make them easily accessible. In 7 I could connect these to the 'My Documents', 'My Pictures' shortcuts in the Start Menu. That way I could generally avoid the default user file folders on the C drive.

In 10 you still have the libraries but they seem less accessible somehow and the start menu links default to the c drive user folders which I don't use. I can't seem to find a way to make them directly connect to the appropriate folders in the data partition like in 7. Perhaps I have missed something. Am getting a bit lost at the moment with the changes to the directory/folder structure; 'This PC' 'File Explorer' etc that are different to 7.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 June 2016 - 03:19 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

"This PC" is nothing but "My Computer" and "File Explorer" is what had been called Windows Explorer.

It's a simple matter to add any folder to one of the existing libraries.  If you right click on the folder on your data drive one of the things that shows up toward the bottom of the context menu should be, "Include in Library" with the jump-list style arrow which, when clicked on, allows you to select an existing library or to create an entirely new one.  

Remember that there is a difference between the Documents that shows up under "This PC," which is what had been your "My Documents" folder, and the Documents Library, which includes your personal Documents folder and whatever other folders you add to it.

The Start Menu has always linked, by default, to the folders that Windows sets up, which are on the C:\ drive and in the case of the Documents (formerly known as "My Documents") that's pinned to the Start Menu this is not the Documents Library, but strictly the folder pointed to by the Documents shortcut for your personal documents.  I cannot for the life of me recall now what one has to do to get them to "point" elsewhere if you want nothing at all related to the C:\ drive to be linked to them.

Edited by britechguy, 02 June 2016 - 03:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

By the way, there's a good tutorial on tenforums about removing a folder from a library.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

All Libraries does is give you shortcuts to things on your C: drive.  If you open File Explorer and don't see Libraries, you can right-click in the left side and click "Show libraries".  For me though, if I want a shortcut to something, I put the shortcut on the desktop.  If you happen to think makes the desktop too cluttered, you can create a folder on the desktop and put the shortcuts in that.  Personally though I'll go for efficiency over neat and uncluttered any day. :)

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 04 June 2016 - 10:40 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

Think I have it sorted now. Probably making a bigger issue out of it than nesesary. Sorry. I was just finding it harder/slower to find my files through the new file explorer than before. Got around it by putting Libraries on the start menu as a tile.

FYI there is a way to transfer the Windows 'My Documents' default folder to another location, but I haven't tried it yet. Looks like it not only transfers the link but any files in the default My Documents, which is fine if you want them all in one place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users