Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP security, does it lock you out when you move hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deronmoped

deronmoped

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

I have been trying to set up a simple desktop computer for my office out of spare parts. I installed XP professional on a SSD and then moved the drive to another MB to try it and the CPU it has on it. The drive would not work on that MB, so I moved the drive back to the original MB. Now it will not make it past the post screen there.

I had XP Pro. installed on a old HD and it would work on either MB.

Is it going to be a headache trying to swap around and assemble the best components? Should I not swap parts around, but assemble what should be the best and "then" install the OS?

Thanks, Deron.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

You need to clean install XP after assembling the hardware. Moving XP from one hardware type to another can give you issues as during the install XP uses drivers for the hardware it detects. When moving to a different MB you will have booting issues along with activation problems.

#3 deronmoped

deronmoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks, I assumed the activation would be a problem, I was just confused as I used a older HD and it worked OK moving it from MB to MB. The MB's were both ASUS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Sometimes there is not an issue especially if both MBs have the same chipsets. Best result though are achieved by doing a clean install on the selected hardware.

As you know all security updates for XP are final and XP is no longer being updated by Microsoft. I would not being doing anything such as online purchasing or banking on the XP computer.

#5 deronmoped

deronmoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Sometimes there is not an issue especially if both MBs have the same chipsets. Best result though are achieved by doing a clean install on the selected hardware.

As you know all security updates for XP are final and XP is no longer being updated by Microsoft. I would not being doing anything such as online purchasing or banking on the XP computer.

Why, I have never had any security issues or malware for that matter.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

Then you are lucky. There are now known security holes in XP that Microsoft will no longer patch. Malware developers know of these security holes and exploit them. 

#7 deronmoped

deronmoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Even if they can get into your computer, there are other security measures that will stop them from getting at what they want, that's your money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users