Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 4TB HDD installed into old computer - computer does not work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Qwertyn

Qwertyn

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have installed new 4TB HDD into an old computer. Everything looks correct but computer does not work. What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deronmoped

deronmoped

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Master/slave settings on drive?

Can you enter the BIOS?

Did you go to the MB's installation pages and follow them?

#3 Qwertyn

Qwertyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Now I have solved the problem with the start of computer. Sorry, it was just my lack of attention to the technical details. Computer works but does not see the new 4TB HDD. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

What O/S...is on this "old computer"?  Please provide the manufacturer and system model.

Louis

#5 Qwertyn

Qwertyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

What O/S...is on this "old computer"?  Please provide the manufacturer and system model.

Louis

OS - Windows 10. The computer was built and rebuilt several times using different parts but it was worked very well.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

Unless the BIOS supports LBA48, you won't ever be able to make that drive bootable; but, with Windows 10, it ought to work as a secondary/data drive.
Most BIOS' older than 2013 don't support LBA48.
What is the PC's hardware?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

Davis - tell me more about LBA48, as it relates here, I'd like to learn more.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

I believe LBA48 was introduced in 2003 and not 2013.

#9 Qwertyn

Qwertyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

I have solved the problem. Thank you very much!!!

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

I have solved the problem. Thank you very much!!!

Please share with us what you did - so we can learn more.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

The original, Western Digital, hard disk controller used in PC's prior to the IBM PC and up until the early 1990's (maybe a little earlier; but, that's close) allowed for a hard disk drive to have 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, and 1024 cylinders which allows a drive to be up to 528 megabytes (16X63X1024X512).
LBA (Logical Block Addressing) is where the location of the sector on the drive is addressed using a logical block number rather than a strict cylinder, head, sector position and the first BIOSes to support it upped the number of allowed heads to 256 and then supported drives up to 8 gigabytes. The original spec was LBA24; though, to complicate matters, a very large percentage of PC's from that era only supported LBA22 or a maximum drive size of 2 gigabytes.
Bear in mind; too, that these standards must be handled by the BIOS itself or the result is that the system itself cannot locate the boot loader!
And, while LBA48 was adopted as a standard in in 2003, nobody made drives anywhere near the 128 petabytes it allows. I, for example, have a 2011 Dell PC which I use for data recovery and forensics that natively recognizes LBA32 which is 2 terabytes. Depending upon the specific make and model, if I connect a 3 terabyte drive and boot to XP, the drive is seen as either 2 terabytes or, even more frustrating, the remainder after the first 2 is subtracted.
Beginning with Windows 7, the operating system will bypass the BIOS after it boots to allow for drives larger than the BIOS can natively handle so, as long as the boot drive is properly handled by the BIOS, it works. That is why I said you'd need to use the 4TB drive as a second drive for data storage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users