Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sholt

Sholt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hey guys and gals of the windows 10 support forum!

I have come across an ethernet issue I cannot seem to fix, and I'm at the end of my latin. I never usually come to forums to just make an account for one issue and leave it at that, it almost feels like profitting of your guys's help and generosity.

Either way, the issue is as follows: I boot my Asus G551JM laptop. Ethernet seems fine. I startup a game I usually play (in this case, TERA) and go do my stuff. After a random amount of time, the ethernet suddenly drops. Tells me I have no internet connection.

This is a puush of my ipconfig while the ethernet is WORKING:          http://puu.sh/pecQV/e73162fcb3.png 
This is a puush of my ipconfig while the ethernet is NOT WORKING:  http://puu.sh/pec6N/a684aa368a.png

I tried to use the "diagnose this connection" option which windows gives you. The result of the first try is the pdf I attached as Ethernet1, the second try is Ethernet2.

I hope you guys can make sense out of this, cause I couldn't. Couldn't really find anything that was similar enough to this issue either.

Attached Files

Edited by Sholt, 02 June 2016 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

This is likely due to a new so-called "power saving" addition to Windows 10.  Go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode.  Change the setting(s) there to Maximum Performance.  

Now I ask you, aren't you impressed by what the clever devils at Microsoft have done to save us a fraction of a watt with no notice!   :dance:

Edited by Niweg, 02 June 2016 - 04:11 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Sholt

Sholt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

Hey Niweg, thanks for the reply! Power savings were probably part of the issue, but it was not all of it. I think I got it to work now, so I'll share my fix.

First thing I did was running the Complete Internet Repair tool (found at majorgeeks.com). This may or may not have been nessecary, because the problem persisted.

After that I checked indeed if I had my settings at maximum performance (I did), so that couldn't have been it. Instead I went to Device Manager, clicked properties on my LAN netword card (in this case a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) and unticked all the boxes in the Power Management tab. After that I went to advanced, disabled the options Energy Efficient Ethernet and Green Ethernet. I also made sure my Speed & Duplex was set to the proper bandwidth.

I hope this helps someone in the future, all in all this issue wasn't anything too advanced!

And yes, Niweg, let's thank Microsoft for these amazing power efficient features.. right? :nono:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users