Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could a new laptop access info on old hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

I had a laptop, which was a Toshiba Satellite that I bought in December of 2010.  It's toast now, but the hard drive should be fine.  I removed it and am saving it.  I was hoping that when I get a new laptop eventually, I could remove the hard drive from it and replace it with my old hard drive so I could access the information I have on it.  Is that something I can do, or would the old hard drive cause a conflict with the new laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

You won't be able to put it in and boot off it no, but you can use something like this to hook it up and access it via file explorer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE0NX4695&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Hard+Drives+-+Notebooks+%2F+Laptops-_-9SIA1HE0NX4695&gclid=CL6_1L_1ic0CFdgKgQodCjIGAA&gclsrc=aw.ds

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

This is actually really easy to do. You could pop in your old drive to your new laptop, then just boot any Linux distro in live mode. You will be able to read the data off the drive this way, then save it to an external drive if you wish. It isn't very complicated at all. You can even pop on over to the Linux forum and ask any question you like about how to do this with Linux.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

I agree with DeimosChaos but with one warning. If you cannot easily access the hard drive through an access panel I would go for the adapter or enclosure. Some of the newer laptops require one to do a lot of tear down just to access the hard drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337198

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 June 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

I agree with DeimosChaos but with one warning. If you cannot easily access the hard drive through an access panel I would go for the adapter or enclosure. Some of the newer laptops require one to do a lot of tear down just to access the hard drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337198

You mean like the adaptor Chalup made reference to?  That one would make it super-simple.  Then I wouldn't have to risk taking the computer apart to get to the HDD.  It really sucks if all the manufacturers are now making everything harder to get to like that!  Why do they do that?  My old Toshiba had 2 panels on the bottom removable with a single screw.  One allowed access to teh hard drive (which I had to replace after having the computer for 1 year), and the other was for the RAM.  Now if I get a new laptop (probably as Asus), things will just get more difficult?  It sounds like they're doing this with some purpose in mind.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Typically you can get to the hard drive and RAM fairly easily still. Though, it does depend on the form factor of you Laptop. If you have a super slim one, it may be more difficult. If it is a regular 15 or so inch laptop then I bet there is still a panel on the bottom allowing you access to the drive and RAM.

#7 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

Typically you can get to the hard drive and RAM fairly easily still. Though, it does depend on the form factor of you Laptop. If you have a super slim one, it may be more difficult. If it is a regular 15 or so inch laptop then I bet there is still a panel on the bottom allowing you access to the drive and RAM.

If I were buying one today, it would be this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4831500.p?id=bb4831500&skuId=4831500

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

If you have an access panel then you are good to go otherwise this is the adapter I use as it works for both 3.5 and 2.5 drivers, IDE and SATA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-New-/331250999094

Looking at the image here it seems this laptop is one of the slim types.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X540LA/

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

It's hard to say by just looking at it. But I would bet that you could fairly easily get to the memory and drive from a panel on the bottom. Asus is usually fairly good about that. If you can find an online manual it might tell you, otherwise you would just have to buy it and see. If not it isn't too big a deal, as shown above you can just get an external adapter to hook it up via USB.

#10 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

It's hard to say by just looking at it. But I would bet that you could fairly easily get to the memory and drive from a panel on the bottom. Asus is usually fairly good about that. If you can find an online manual it might tell you, otherwise you would just have to buy it and see. If not it isn't too big a deal, as shown above you can just get an external adapter to hook it up via USB.

If I hook it up to a USB port with one of those adaptors, is there a way to boot to it from there if I choose?  No big deal if I can't.  As long as I can use it from the USB as if it were a giant flash drive, that would be ok too.

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

You won't be able to boot it. You would have driver conflicts and other things. Yes, essentially you would use it as a large USB drive.

#12 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

You won't be able to boot it. You would have driver conflicts and other things. Yes, essentially you would use it as a large USB drive.

Cool!  Now I just have to hope the thing still functions.  I'll hang onto it for when I get a new laptop.

#13 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

If I connect my old hard drive to a SATA / USB cable, would I also need to have an external power supply to run the hard drive, or does the USB port provide the power to the hard drive?  I ask this because hard drives have moving parts where flash drives don't.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Yes to the power question the adapter USB powers the drive.  I have another thought for you, buy an inexpensive enclosure.  Once you retrieve the data you need wipe the drive then use it for a backup drive or storage drive.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

2.5 laptop drives do not require a power adapter, only 3.5 drives. 2.5 drives can be powered by the USB port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users