Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partial eject of dvd drives.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flynn007

flynn007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hi.  New here.

I am resetting up my daughters old computer.  It has been through a tough time at her mothers house.  roaches,  cigarette smoke, pets.   General abuse like that.  I have it in a clean environment here, and have cleaned it out the best I can.   New HDD,  and fresh install of windows 7 on it.  

The only problem I have with it so far is the dvd drives.    The one that was in it, worked at first,  I think.   I was able to open it,  get the windows cd in and install that.   but now what I attempt to open,   it only opens about 2 inches out,  if that.    I thought the drive had gone bad,  so I just threw it away,  and took one out of my personal system to put in hers.   This one I know worked on mine just fine,   but does the exact same thing on her system.

Its not the chassis getting in the way at all,  I made sure of that,  The only thing that makes sense to me,  would be the psu not getting enough power to it.   but that doesnt make sense to me,  as the system posts just fine...

Anyone have any clues as to what might be going on?

edit:   The first dvd drive was hooked up through ata ribbon cables.   The second drive from my system was hooked up through sata cables..

Edited by flynn007, 02 June 2016 - 07:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

What is the exact make and model of this computer?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 flynn007

flynn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

Asus p5n73-am motherboard.

e2180 cpu

4 gb two different types of ram.

radeon 7700 hd gfx card.

250 gb maxtor hdd.

Its all pieced together..    Her mother bought the original from a local computer store,  I have since replaced and placed random parts in it myself...

#4 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

the drive had gone bad, so I just threw it away, and took one out of my personal system to put in hers.

You are telling that your daughter dvd rom is damaged and you just leave it then why try now to reversable?
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm wondering if an external cd-dvd reader would do the same thing in this computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 flynn007

flynn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

the drive had gone bad, so I just threw it away, and took one out of my personal system to put in hers.

You are telling that your daughter dvd rom is damaged and you just leave it then why try now to reversable?

I have no idea what you're trying to say,   sorry..

I'm wondering if an external cd-dvd reader would do the same thing in this computer.

I do not have an external I can try with the system,  I only have to two available at the moment.

What strikes me as odd with it,   is it worked fine before I installed windows,    but after the install,   and I am not sure of when during the time period it happened,     but at least during or after the install,  it started with the problems.   and that it does the same thing on two different Types of connections.

#7 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

1- Did you try the classic method with "paper clip"? Maybe the tray is jammed.

2- SATA connectors provide 12v, 5v and 3.3v. I'm not sure but your DVD drive needs probably 5v and 12v. Download and run HWMonitor to check PSU voltages (I prefer the portable one).

Edited by devilus, 02 June 2016 - 12:49 PM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#8 flynn007

flynn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

Well,  as I try it now,  it ejects about an inch or so,  and immediately retracts to try and read a disk or whatever its trying to do.   The paper clip method ejects it without it trying to retract.

Im thinking myself that it is something to do with the power supply.  it says its like,  280w.   im not entirely sure whats going on to be honest,  I've never seen anything like this happen.

Im going to replace the psu with something a little better and give that a shot.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

My first step would be to try the drive outside the case, as I have seen some cases where the racks weren't exactly aligned side to side, so when the drive got mounted and screwed into place, it pinched things in the drive door enough to hinder full travel without resistance.  Some drives will retract or eject if they sense any resistance.  I had a user that was frustrated trying to get a disk out of the drive when it only slid open an inch and closed again.  The eject switch in the hole shows no mechanical fault but the different drive and same result is the puzzle and is often software based.  That could be from a OS update that did something to the driver, or a program install.  Hardware installs usually don't interfere unless it's another second drive.

#10 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

Well,  as I try it now,  it ejects about an inch or so,  and immediately retracts to try and read a disk or whatever its trying to do.   The paper clip method ejects it without it trying to retract.

Im thinking myself that it is something to do with the power supply.  it says its like,  280w.   im not entirely sure whats going on to be honest,  I've never seen anything like this happen.

Im going to replace the psu with something a little better and give that a shot.

I think you didn't check your PSU voltages. What if your PSU is ok and the drive is bad or not correctly aligned as @mjd420nova said?

I would suggest first to run HWMonitor. Just to be sure your PSU is not dead and useable, maybe in another system. You can download it here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html  (zip version at left side of the page!)

PS. I have a Windows XPSP3 system with two DVD drives and 620W PSU. One of the drives won't open at all. I know I have to replace it because I'm sure it's not related to my PSU.

Otherwise you might have right if your PSU is really a 280W one. For Radeon 7700 series is a 400-500W PSU required.

Edited by devilus, 03 June 2016 - 01:14 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#11 flynn007

flynn007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

well,  after fiddling around with them some more   Its not the power supply unit.  there was a 300w psu in there.  I took my 700w and put it in there.    Still the same thing.

making sure it wasnt the frame or any obstructions anywhere was one of the first things I did,   and testing the second drive,  I didn't even put it inside the case,  but still only partial eject.

and I'm not sure how it would be a software problem at this point though,  it was a fresh install of windows 7 that I put in there...   But  I'm going to let it keep the 700w psu,  and just reinstall windows again at this point and hope for the best.    It reads cds or dvds if you get one in it,   its just getting one in it.      and every now and then,  it ejects with no problems at all... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users