Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Wine...Completely (including file associations)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

The title says most of it....I installed wine a week or so ago...i "removed" it in software manager. All of its file associations and the windows notepad are still present.....the Linux OS is littered with them.

How do I get rid of them?

(I used a 'purge' command earlier today and the result was devastating to say the least....however I recovered and here I am again !)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

Never had (or wanted to have) Wine on my Linux box, so I don't have any personal experience of removing it, but the following article seems to cover what's needed to remove it from an Ubuntu based install ... http://sourcedigit.com/14942-completely-remove-wine-linux-ubuntu-systems/

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

Thank you Gary...you have saved the day yet again mate !

Those instructions were absolutely flawless

:thumbsup2:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 879 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

You're welcome mate, glad to hear you got Wine completely off your machine. :thumbsup2:

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,084 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

AS a matter of interest.....

Wine had made itself the default 'opener' for quite a few applications....amongst them "Audacious" music player.

I fussed around trying to discover why audacious would not open....all my music is still present....but no go.....

Eventually I found that Audacious was uninstalled. (not by me !)

Visited Software manager , reinstalled...and all is good again.

Wine...is a program to be extremely wary of.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 879 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

Yes, I've read about too many problems from people using Wine to ever want it on my machine.

IMO Windows and Linux are fundamentally too different for programs that are designed to work on Windows to ever work seamlessly in a Linux environment. If you want to use Windows programs on a Linux machine, then install Windows on a VM and run the programs in their native environment.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hmm.. I have never had any issues running Wine (installing the programs is another beast). Though I usually use "play on linux" for the install process and it installs the correct version of wine for you for the application you are wanting to run. But yeah, mostly I just boot Windows and do whatever it is I need to (mostly gaming). Wine has its purposes, but it can be a pain for sure.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users