Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What RAM is best to upgrade from 8 to 16 GB?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

I have 2x4 GB DDR3 RAM, it's overclocked on the motherboard, set specifically to the values G.Skill recommend.

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

2133 MHz

11-11-11-30-2N

1.5V (or could be 1.6, G.Skill say either, pretty sure I set it to 1.5)

I want to get 2 more 4 GB modules, the specific model code is not on NewEgg. This is however very similar, and the timing is the same

G.Skill Sniper Series F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

2133 MHz

11-11-11-30-2N

1.6V

(This RAM will look really odd i my system)

There is some RAM that has the identical heat spreaders to what I have, but has different timings:

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-2133C9D-8GXL

2133 MHz

9-11-11-31-2N

1.6~1.65V

Would it be bad if I got the mismatching timing RAM? If I did how would I overclock it safely?

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 Eight Core Black Edition 4.0 GHz

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

I found the Ram on Newegg for you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468 . But to answer your question it isn't ideal to run ram with different timing on them due to it affecting performance. If you had to go with a different series it's best to go with the same timing, the same range of voltage, and make sure all ram slots are set to the same voltage or you'll damage the ram. Looking at the description of the original RAM it seems to indicate that it can handle both 1.5 and 1.6 and it just depends on what you set it to in the BIOS.

Edited by Humannpower, 02 June 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

I found the Ram on Newegg for you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468 . But to answer your question it isn't ideal to run ram with different timing on them due to it affecting performance. If you had to go with a different series it's best to go with the same timing, the same range of voltage, and make sure all ram slots are set to the same voltage or you'll damage the ram. Looking at the description of the original RAM it seems to indicate that it can handle both 1.5 and 1.6 and it just depends on what you set it to in the BIOS.

Oh thank you, I had found those before, but when I looked up the model code the other day, only the Sniper ones came up. I thought they were no longer available.

Thank-you very much for your help.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users