Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD MyBook external 2Tb partially unallocated after writing zeros

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:12 AM

Hello,

I decided I did not want any of these external drives anymore after a few bad experiences with them, so I was going to sell the ones I had that were still functional. Before doing so, I was going to use WD's software that writes zeros to the drives so none of my stuff would be retrievable by the next owner. First drive went fine, then after doing the second one (each one takes about two days to do) and assigning a drive letter to it, Windows suddenly said that the drive was needing to be formatted before I could use it. I clicked OK and the format took another two days. Now Windows is recognizing the drive, but Disk Management says 2048,00 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition), then it says 746,49 GB Unallocated in a box next to it.

I have read various other threads about unallocated drives, but not sure I've ever seen one where it happens after writing zeros to the whole drive.

What does this mean, and what should I do? The drive was working fine with no unallocated space prior to writing zeros/reformatting it, did doing so somehow cause the drive to screw up? It is highly annoying this process taking over 4 days to complete alone, and even more so when it apparently was for nothing or perhaps even damaged my drive.

Attaching screenshot from Disk Management. Any suggestions are welcome.

PS: I really hate these My Book drives by now and I will never recommend them to anyone, I much rather prefer WD's passport USB drives which I have had no problems with so far and I own over 20 of those.

Attached Files

Edited by krs000a, 02 June 2016 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

If you Format a Drive - Quick , it shoud be done very Quick , if you dont select that it will take some time as it will completly wipe it.

Being a 3TB drive and you formatted as NTFS , then it can only do 2TB and the the rest will be unallocated.

Try MinitoolWizard Free i prefer it to windows , and format the drive as GPT , then you should be able to use the whole drive.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/

Any probs post back.

Check Here and Read Also - http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything-you-need-to-know-about-3tb-hard-drives.html

Edited by Havachat, 02 June 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:32 AM

format the drive as GPT

This will no doubt be the issue. When you zero fill a drive, the partitioning structure is overwritten. If you then partition and format the drive MBR it suffers a 2GB limit. As Havachat says, use Quick Format once the partition is created. Since Windows Vista, a full format also zero fills the drive, although if the process is actually taking that long, I suggest making sure you're not accidentally on a USB 1.1 port, or testing the SMART status of the drive in case it is throwing a lot of errors.

Edited by Platypus, 02 June 2016 - 07:43 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.1. The drive appears the same way there as it did in Disk Management.

How do I format it as GPT properly? When I right click on the 2 GB partition I can select format, but the only options are FAT32, NTSF, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 and then a Cluster Size setting which is set to Default. If I click OK that dialog window closes but nothing else seems to happen.

Right clicking on the partition with the unallocated space gives me the following options: Create, Surface Test, Wipe Partition, Properties.

What do I need to do?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

I'm not familiar with the suggested tool, but you will need to delete the existing MBR partition and create a new GPT partition to fill the entire drive.

#6 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

Sorry guys, I realized I had to click on "Apply". It all worked, thanks for your help! :-)

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Glad it's sorted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users