Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glad to be here and, yes, I do have a question!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doug-d1

doug-d1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hi, I’m Doug!

Not quite sure what to say here.

I am not new to computers but I am far from an expert, at anything, computer related or otherwise.

I’ve been to Bleeping Computer, at some point in the past, and I thought I was a forum member and might even have made some posts.  However, in a list I have where I try to keep track of forum memberships I could find no mention of Bleeping Computer, and when establishing a new membership there was no record of the e-mail address I use, or the handle I normally use so…. I guess I’m a new member.

I had forgotten just how much great information is available here.  It’s almost intimidating to try and take it all in.  It’s hard to believe people actually do all of this for free!

One thing I could not find, that I thought I had gotten here in the past is a guide regarding how to do a thorough, precautionary, malware scan. 

I have no special reason to think that my computer is infected with anything.  I am using AVG free and WinPatrol and I have no reason to think that they are not doing their jobs, but I was always advised to, occasionally, check with other scanners, as no single scanner is 100% effective.  I have not done this for, frankly, years and I would like to do so now.  In fact, I have already begun by downloading, installing and running Avira Free Antivirus.

Avaria did not find anything and I am struggling with it a bit because it is now running as real time protection along with my AVG and I cannot get it to stop.  (I know I could uninstall it but I hate to do this if it is possible to just get it to stop running real time.)  Further, I notice Avaria is not mentioned, very much, at Bleeping Computer so I am beginning to wonder if it was a good choice for my purpose.  These questions are a topic for another post however.  I only mention it in passing at this point.

Anyway, I went to download Malwarebytes AntiMalware for the next step, as I remembered it was a good one, but then I thought I remembered having seen an organized, step by step, guide, with recommendations to use specific programs in a specific order to get a thorough check as to the state of a computer’s cleanliness.  I thought I had seen this guide at Bleeping Computer, so here I am.  Unfortunately, if this guide exists I cannot find it

I figured a guide like this would be listed somewhere in a forum as a sticky, so I went to the forums page and looked in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs, Am I infected? What do I do?, Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software, and General Security, but none of these seemed to have what I was looking for.  I looked under Security in the Tutorials section but nothing there.  Then I looked in Virus Removal Guides but each entry starts with the assumption of a specific piece of malware being involved.  I looked at a number of these guides and I notice that they seem to have a lot of the same steps so perhaps I could improvise.  Still, I hope there is something I am just missing.

I’m not sure this is the proper place to post this question.  In fact, I note that a guideline for this forum is not to post problems, but this is not exactly a problem so I’m not sure where else I would ask, so here goes!  Is there a guide for doing a general, thorough, search for all types of malware?

Thanks,

Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

G'day doug-d1, and Welcome to BC.

For someone who is not sure what to say here....you have done extraordinarily well !!

However....Introductions is not the place to address your question.......so.....open a new topic under whatever operating system you are using....windows 7 or 8.1...etc

I think it doubtful that you are infected, but your reasons for taking extra precautions are valid.

Running two AV's is never a good idea, but we will deal more with that in your new topic

Again...Welcome !

Brian 

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 doug-d1

doug-d1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

Hi Brian!

Thanks for the welcome aboard.

Yeah, once I get rolling I never know where it’s gonna end.

As I stated I really wasn’t sure where to put my question and even though I figured it wasn’t this part of the forum….  Well, anyway I’ll rewrite the question and try another place in the forum tomorrow.

In closing, I can’t help but note that you appear not to be a fan of W10.  I’m sticking with W7 as long as I can but I guess we will have to deal with it some ugly day!

Doug

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Post your new topic HERE   

if it is suggested to you, to open a new topic in the "Am I Infected" area......simply ask for your topic to be moved.  Saves a lot of typing !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Do you still have free Avira?  I went from free Avira to pay-for Avira, now, I can much better control real-time protection shields.  I believe I can look up and post the way you can disable Avira shields within services -- please remind me which shields are ON for your free Avira, thanks!  During my free Avira days, I used services to disable Avira real-time shield operations, however, it does come at a "usability in the future" price.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 June 2016 - 02:42 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 doug-d1

doug-d1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hi Roland and thanks for the reply!

While digging through the Avira settings so I could provide answers to your inquiry, I actually found the setting to stop Avira from running.

Just for clarity; I see that in my original post I accidently misstated my issue.  In the original post I said “I cannot get it (Avira real time protection) to stop.”  This is not quite true.  Once Windows and Avira are running I can switch off Avira real time protection in a couple of different places.  My issue actually was that I could not find any way to prevent the Avira real time protection from starting automatically when Windows boots.

I had, several times, unchecked all Avira entries in the startup tab of msconfig but there would be an immediate Avira pop up warning that an attempt to alter the registry had been blocked. Then I would find that the significant Avira startup entry was rechecked.

Just now I found a setting which, while I had seen it before, by its name had not previously suggested to me that it would stop Avira from loading automatically at startup.  In fact, changing this setting does not, in and of itself, stop Avira from loading at startup but it does stop Avira from preventing the change when I uncheck the Avira entry in the startup tab of msconfig.  Therefore, now Avira real time protection does not start when Windows boots.

In closing, thanks for the offer of help but just by the way you worded your reply it helped me to discover the solution I was looking for so; problem solved.  This one anyway!

Doug

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic