Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File explorer won't open/right clicking causes screen to go black

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 behem0th

behem0th

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

I have had Windows 10 since December and have not run into any issues until today.Everything else on the task bar opens except for the file explorer.  I cannot open the file explorer from anywhere. This PC opens, so I have been using that in the meantime. Also, when I right click on a file, my computer freezes for about ten seconds and then the screen flashes black and doesn't open anything. I have made sure I have my settings so that my display is only on one monitor, I have cleared the file explorer history, and I have tried messing with the size of text/files/etc. It is set at 100%. Does anyone know of any other fixes? I've been looking into it and it seems to be a bug in Windows that's existed for years. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any sort of universal fix. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Download ShellExView, and try this

1) This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator.

2) From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu.

3) On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software.

4) Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.

5) Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer.

6) Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

Edited by dhjohns, 01 June 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#3 behem0th

behem0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Download ShellExView, and try this

1) This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator.

2) From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu.

3) On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software.

4) Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.

5) Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer.

6) Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

It worked! It was AVG Shell Extension, I know that it was buggy so I'll probably just uninstall AVG all together since I have other antivirus software already installed. Thanks a lot for your help! 

Edited by behem0th, 01 June 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Awesome!

#5 behem0th

behem0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

Awesome!

Sorry to bother you again so soon, will it stay disabled forever if I decide to keep AVG installed? 

#6 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

Awesome!

Sorry to bother you again so soon, will it stay disabled forever if I decide to keep AVG installed? 

I am fairly certain it should, but if you have any more issues at least you know what's up.  You should watch it though, it may re-enable with an update.

Edited by dhjohns, 01 June 2016 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users