Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 ugrade stuck

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

I am trying to install Windows 10 on an Acer Apire7741z-4815 laptop and it cleared first screen of checking for updates and is on second screen Getting updates and stayed at 0% for several hours and is now stuck at 22% for 2 hours. Will it continue?Is it safe to close it and restart install another time? From start it has been 7 hours and 15 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 June 2016 - 07:36 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

Yes, you can, ie You may turn off (shutdown) or restart or do whatever You want.
But the problem is, why so long? What is your Internet connection, is it good?

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

I've seen one computer that was in excellent shape take 22 hours and there weren't any follow-up problems

#4 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

Yes, internet connection is very good. I think I'll let it run overnight and see where it is in the morning. If it's still in same spot, will close it and restart. Then may have to post and ask what to do to prevent it from happening again when I try to install. Thanks for the input!

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

It is better, however, to restart, or rather, I recommend switch off completely and then run again.
If possible, run CCleaner or something similar and also clean the registry and then restart updates download process again. It can run in background and You can do everything, ie let it run in backround and if all is downloaded, installing will be done automatically...

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

I have upgraded over a dozen computers and they usually take between 10 minutes and 45 minutes. The longest one was 45 minutes but it had serious issues. But I have very slow internet access, my speed is 5 mbps.

I think that something might be wrong. Are you using a DVD or a USB stick. I always use a USB stick to load Windows 10 but even with a DVD install more than half an hour would worry me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. It finally completed the whole installation process in a total of 11 hours!!!!!!!! Haven't had time to fine tune it yet but will post back when have. I used Media Creation Tool on USB for the install. Internet speed was 15 Mbps.

#8 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

It is better, however, to restart, or rather, I recommend switch off completely and then run again.
If possible, run CCleaner or something similar and also clean the registry and then restart updates download process again. It can run in background and You can do everything, ie let it run in backround and if all is downloaded, installing will be done automatically...

You never want to turn a computer off in the middle of updates, especially updating to windows 10..

#9 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

I have got the settings tweaked and all appears to be running smoothly so far!

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

Excellent. Thanks for your feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users