Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would you upgrade on this laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Whiskey1

Whiskey1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

I have an asus ROG gaming laptop that is couple years old. it is a G750JS-DH71-CA

I have windows 10 64-bit, intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 12GB ram, and Nvidia Geforce GTX 870M, There are two hard drives, the main OS is 372GB, and Second HD is 537GB.

She has started running slower I find lately and would like opinions on what to buy to upgrade? I would only really want to spend a few hundred dollars, and am not sure if that could make a big difference for me. Any help would be appreciated as I have never built/upgraded a laptop before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Whiskey1

Whiskey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

How much memory could I install? Am I able to put 4x8GB? I am so new to this but I would like to learn.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.50GHz 80 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JS (SOCKET 0) 89 °C

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 49 °C
ForceWare version: 368.22
SLI Disabled

Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 36 °C

Optical Drives
MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ8E0

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

I assume this is your laptop.  You generally cannot upgrade components on a laptop with the exceptions typically being the hard drive and RAM.  Chapter six in your user's manual has what can be upgraded and how.  So long as the RAM you purchase matches Asus' specifications for new RAM, you should be able to upgrade to 32GB, but that is a lot of memory for a PC.  Most people don't need that much.  According to Crucial, your laptop uses DDR3L-1600 SODIMM memory.

You can also install an SSD and get a speed increase.  It is a bit more intensive to swap a hard drive containing the operating system but it is doable.

3939.png

#4 Whiskey1

Whiskey1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yes, that looks like my computer. I bought it 2 christmas ago. 

yeah i figured that not all components could be changed on a laptop. i find it hard to look for potential parts to replace. Well I have 12gb RAM already, so would I even really want to add more? I do have one more slot available, so I could always add a 4GB or 8GB for relatively cheap. I always wanted a SSD, so that is something I might look into. 

Is it possible to change out the graphics card?And if it is.... would it even be worth it?

I dont have my user manual, but i will try to download a copy and read chapter 6 like you said.

Edited by Whiskey1, 02 June 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

There are some laptops that have exchangeable graphics, but those are very rare.  I don't believe that one has replaceable graphics, for that functionality, you need a traditional desktop PC.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users