Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't power on Dell Inspiron 7348

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hi,   I currently have a Dell Inspiron 13 Laptop 7348 with 8gb RAM running the latest Windows 10 build.  I have been on several builds of W10 over the lifetime of this issue.

Recently I upgraded my OCZ 240gb SSD to a Crucial MX200 500gb SSD,  I had originally replaced the original hard drive maybe a year ago without issues.

The laptop generally works fine and I usually keep it running, letting it shut off display and hard drive after being idle rather than sleep because of the issues I been having.

Sporadically, not all the time, after my pc is powered off either by shutdown or sleep (at first I thought it was just sleep), it won't power back on.   Its like when I press the power button nothing happens.   Even if I hold the power button nothing.   It does not matter if power adapter is connected or not.

The back lid has 10 screws, including one center screw.   For some reason, I suspect it might be physical and the center screw is maybe touching something or shorting something.   Usually the only way I can get it to start is to remove all 10 screws, remove the back lid, and remove and replace the battery.    

I am totally lost on how to resolve this.   I am thinking it doesnt really need the center screw but it would be strange if leaving that out would resolve the issue.

Edited by jmsnyc, 01 June 2016 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

And it won't power up the normal way without the battery, with only the AC brick attached?  Have you already cleaned whatever contacts you can safely reach from AC brick to inside the battery compartment?  Reason for asking:  I temporarily had two used Dell laptops that did much the same thing; only for me, the contact cleaning made no difference - I hope it will a difference for your computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 June 2016 - 05:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

So the way the battery is held in place is 3 screws 1 okc which also goes through the center of the back panel. Trying to remove to do battery pull one got stripped. Wasted afew hours until finally gutsed up and drilled out the stripped screw. Sure enough after battery pull it booted fine. It makes no difference if the ac adapter is connected or whether battery is charged. Something to do with battery connection though..battery is just connected in one spot, right?

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:15 AM

"1 okc which also goes through the center of the back panel."

--- What is okc?

If you suspect it has something to do with the battery, can you run the computer without the battery to test that idea?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Are you having any luck on getting your computer to power up?

#6 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

I did .   After I do battery pull it usually starts up.    I had a tough time doing battery pull after posting this because one of the screws got stripped.  However, I am not sure if this is solved as I normally just configure my laptop to shut off disk and display rather than sleep.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

Battery has been removed. Computer starts up. Power option is kept to shut off disk and display.

--- Need time to determine whether or not the “Can't power on” issue returns.

--- Please post back if the “Can't power on” issue does return

--- Did you leave the center screw in or leave it out? I don't see why it should matter, but if you suspect it might matter, leave it out for now.

--- That way if the issue returns you will know it doesn't matter

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

If the laptop only works without the battery and only being AC-powered, then Sleep is not a good idea!  Best to do a Shutdown or a Hibernate when you're done.  And, keep your OS partition and data partition backups current, you might need to restore the OS if a power-out or brown-out suddenly turns off the laptop during certain Windows operations.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 June 2016 - 07:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#9 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Attached File  dellinside.PNG   919.13KB   0 downloads

So I noticed the center screw actually doubles as a battery screw.    After removing the stripped battery screw,  I put the screw directly in the one that doubles without going through the back lid.  I also have another screw in the battery.

The lid (rear panel) has 10 screws, which is a lot so I should be fine.

I just was looking at the service manual.   Removing/Replacing  the battery procedure has instruction that hard drive cable is suppose to be routed through guides on the battery. "Route the hard-drive cable through the routing guides on the battery"   Confused about that...

If you see the attached image, I did not route the hard drive cable through the battery guides.  

Edited by jmsnyc, 06 June 2016 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users