Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling files from another HDD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hola.

So, I'm trying to pull some Documents and Photos from a HDD from an seemingly dead All-in-One (Acer A5600 U) that was running Windows 8.1

I wasn't there when the machine finally gave up the ghost - it was most likely a dead inverter - but it's already been replaced, so now I just need to pull the aforementioned off the old HDD, which I've pulled from the machine.

I've done this on a couple of other (infected) machines but I'm not sure what's going on - or not going on, in this case - with this one.

I've hooked up the HDD (Samsung Momentus) with a Cables-To-Go USB to IDE/SATA adapter that I've used many times but I'm just not "seeing" the drive in a way that I can get to it.

The computer that I've hooked it up to is mine: a HP desktop, running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Once I've plugged the HDD that I'm trying to pull from, I hear the 'ding-dong' of an attached USB device and when I open Device and Printers, all I see is this:

Where%20Are%20You%20HDD_Bleeping.png

I've also looked under Computer Management and it shows it listed as Disk 2 and Online. (Don't mind my mess, I've been playing around with quite few Linux Distros)

After%20I%20turn%20on%20the%20cable.png

After that didn't work, I thought I'd send the dog after it, so I loaded up Slacko 6.3.0 and once I got to the Desktop, plugged in the USB cable adapter...but no joy.

I could see and drill down to my hardware and files and folders, etc, but I couldn't even see the USB symbol on the Slacko desktop.

Ideas, thoughts, workarounds, coffee?

Thanks.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

Can you assign a drive letter to the unallocated space?

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

I'd be looking at TestDisk for this issue.

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:27 AM

Can you assign a drive letter to the unallocated space?

Hey there JohnC_21, thanks for the quick response. I plugged back in the Drive and when I right-clicked on it (in Computer Management)  I was not given the option "Change Drive Letter and Paths" only:

• New Simple Volume
  • New Spanned Volume  (greyed out)
  • New Striped Volume     (greyed out)
  • Properties
  • Help

If I am able to change the Drive Letter, do you think it will resolve this?

Thanks again for the quick response.

I'd be looking at TestDisk for this issue.

TsVk! - thanks for the link. Am going to download this morning - it's morning here on the Eastern Seaboard (USA) - and will give it a go tonight when I get home from work.

I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks again gents.

Winterland

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

There is a method to assign a drive letter using diskpart.

If you can't assign a drive letter then Testdisk may be your next best solution. 

You may also want to take a look a Partition Wizard as it automates the partition recovery process. Let Partition Wizard scan the drive using the Quick Method. See if it can find any partitions on the drive. If it does not find any partitions then do the Full Scan which can take awhile. Double click any partitions it finds. This should bring up a list of files. Check the box next to the partitions you want to recover. Press Next and then Apply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:18 AM

Updates:

So I tried the Diskpart Utility from the How-To-Geek and it didn't work.

Again, it saw my hardware and my crazy partitioned HDD but not the HDD that I'm trying to pull from.

Went ahead and downloaded the Minitool Parition Wizard and it immediately saw both Disks - Disk 1 with all my stuff on it: System, OS, New Volume and Recovery and, thankfully, it also saw the other Disk.

I ran the Quick Method last night...took several hours and when I woke up this morning there was nothing in the window below the Scanning Progress bar, so I've initiated a Full Scan, which, I suspect, won't be done until I get home from work, so I'll either post tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and links.

Hopefully, I'll have something positive to post soon.

onward,

Winterland

#7 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

No joy - hours later & not a single item showed up after a Full Scan.

Next up TestDisk.

Wondering: can I just try to plug that drive into my computer (motherboard) or will the existing the OS still stymie my efforts to retrieve these photos and docs?

Winterland

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

i don't think the OS has anything to do with the problem. Have you tried running a diagnostic using Seatools for Windows?

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

You may need to pull the data using Data Recovery Software such as Easeus Data Recovery (2GB recovery for free) or use PhotoRec which is included in the Testdisk folder. You need to specify which file extensions you wish to recover as it will recover everything it finds otherwise. Also PhotoRec recovers files as generic names with the proper extension. You would need to rename them accordingly.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

Well, it wasn't pretty and there were a few stumbles along the way while following this guide, but all 18 gigs of the photos (the main focus of this attempt) were recovered.   :bananas:

After performing the Deeper Search, I saw several warnings about sector size and several Deleted partitions, but I was able to select those and drill my way down to them. Once I found the correct Folder, I did the old trusty A (to select all) and then C (to copy).

The confusing part for me - since I'm used to keyboard shortcuts - was that I could not just open a Folder that I created on my machine and Ctrl+V to paste it in there, I had to keep backing out of the TestDisk CMD window and find My Computer and then copy them there, using the CMD window...which I had not done before, but after reading carefully the instructions at the top of that CMD window, it was pretty straight forward.

I confess, I stumbled here and did not paste all the photos into the correct Folder but, thankfully, all the photos were in My Documents, so all's well that ends well.

What the guide says & did not work for me was pressing Q [quit] to go back to the previous display. I did this >twice< and needed to perform another Deeper Search, which took hours!  :mellow:

So there you go.

Thanks again JohnC_21 for being out there and huge thanks to TsVk! for the links and information as well. It worked!

We'll see you in the Forums.

Winterland

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the update and glad you got your data back. I guess I will have to continue to recommend Testdisk over Partition Wizard for partition recovery. I have had success with Partition Wizard. I mentioned it because when it does work it is somewhat easier to grasp then TestDisk which has a higher learning curve.

I just wanted to add something in case you are in this situation again, hopefully not. When you unzip Testdisk to a folder the folder is the default location for the files that are recovered. If you have enough space on the recovery drive you could select all files/folders. The key to select individual files is ":". Then press upper case "C" to copy the files. Pressing lower case "a" will select all files listed which is essentially the entire drive. Pressing upper case "C" will copy everything selected to the folder Testdisk was unzipped to. Directory structures are intact. If you want to change directories you can highlight it with the up and down arrow keys and the use the right arrow key to go to that directory. The right arrow key will return you to your previous location. You can practice using Quiick Search on a good drive. 

#11 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

If you have enough space on the recovery drive you could select all files/folders. The key to select individual files is ":". Then press upper case "C" to copy the files. Pressing lower case "a" will select all files listed which is essentially the entire drive. Pressing upper case "C" will copy everything selected to the folder Testdisk was unzipped to. Directory structures are intact. If you want to change directories you can highlight it with the up and down arrow keys and the use the right arrow key to go to that directory. The right arrow key will return you to your previous location. You can practice using Quiick Search on a good drive. 

Hey, thanks for the tips.

I guess I learned some of that when I was stumbling my way through (but did not understand it) so I'll be filing this away in case I do have to do this again. Could have saved myself some time.

Thanks again for being out there.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users