Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Refuses to Stay Dvorak, Randomly Switches and LIES

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kilyle

Kilyle

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

I use Dvorak drivers with a regular keyboard, while the rest of my family types in Qwerty on their logins.  I also have a Japanese IME installed, and a Greek keyboard layout.

Attached File  Keyboard Fail 4.png   8.78KB   0 downloads

When Windows kept making Qwerty the default for my stuff, I got rid of the English Qwerty keyboard drivers altogether, and installed Ireland Qwerty for any time I'd need to have Qwerty (some games don't let you switch keys, so occasionally I need it).  This solved the major problem I was having at the time.  It's been a couple Windows changes since then, and now we have Windows 10, but I'm pretty sure the problem I'm about to describe was happening before we got Windows 10.

A lot of times I leave my Windows login up when I go to bed, and other people use the computer (on their logins), and then when I come back to my login, the keyboard is screwy.  (I'm 100% sure they aren't pranking me.)  But it's not only screwy, it claims that it's not screwy, so there's no way for me to fix it by changing settings; rebooting usually works.

"Screwy" here means: Either it's Qwerty, or it's a weird hybrid mix where most of the keys are Qwerty but the Dvorak punctuation remains, so I can't type any of the letters that Dvorak turned into punctuation (QWEZ mostly).  It hasn't done this for a while so I might be misrecalling the details of that hybrid weirdness but it is bizarre.

"Lies" here means: When I go into the settings, it claims that Dvorak is the only English keyboard installed, like "I don't know what you're talking about, why would you need to switch drivers?  See?  Everything's fine!"

Attached File  Keyboard Fail 3.png   56.16KB   0 downloads

This is how it's supposed to look (which is fine, right after I reboot):

Attached File  Keyboard Fail 5.png   54.02KB   0 downloads

I did at one point go through Windows technical support (the legit ones, not the scammers that often call our house) for this issue, and they figured out that there were two keyboard driver files or something, and deleted one of them, and then it was working so it seemed to be solved, but obviously this is not the case.  I don't feel that they ever explained how it got to be this way and thus how I can prevent it from happening again.

Maybe someone here can tell me what the heck is going on?

P.S. Hope I got all the typos; chalk any I missed up to typing with the wrong keyboard.

Edited by Kilyle, 02 June 2016 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilyle

Kilyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:15 AM

Is there anything I'm supposed to add to this?  It said not to add the logs I usually see on this forum.  Did I miss something about how I'm supposed to post it, or is it just as mystifying to the help here as it is to me?

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:05 AM

Hi Kilyle,

I can't speak for others, but yes I'm mystified, bear with it

Another option is to ask a moderator to move the topic to External Hardware? there maybe someone more knowledgeable there,

Your post seems fine if it wasn't  they would ask for more info,

Good luck,

Hedge

#4 Kilyle

Kilyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:03 AM

Another option is to ask a moderator to move the topic to External Hardware? there maybe someone more knowledgeable there

I'm okay with a moderator moving it wherever, but it's clearly not hardware.  Nothing about the physical keyboard is changing; the computer is changing its understanding of what the keys are supposed to do.

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:42 AM

Hi Kilyle,

I know what you saying,

It was only a suggestion, but the way I see it anything that plugs into a computer (inc wireless) is external hardware (i.e.printer) it does not have to be a physical problem (but software)

It may be that this problem isn't specific to win 10 (I don't know)

The only reason I mention the move is it may yield more results, as you have not had a reply as yet (or a helpful one at least)

Hedge

#6 Kilyle

Kilyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I guess that makes sense.  How do I ask the moderators to move it?

#7 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

Hi Kilyle,

The next time you are here go to,

The main Forums page (community index) hover your mouse over a light blue name, and click send message

Give them a link to this topic and request the move.

I will ask a mod for you now, so you may well be moved when you read this.

Hedge

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

For the time being, since it seems likely to be a Windows issue, it looks OK to me for the topic to remain here.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Let's take a look at some system data and see if it throws any light on the situation.

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users