Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Painfully Slow At Random Times

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ktwsolo

ktwsolo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

So most of the time my computer is fine. However, maybe twice a day, things slow down to a crawl, similar to if the CPU is at 100%. However, the task manager shows nothing but normal memory and CPU usages for programs, I can't hear the hard drive going crazy, and the hard disk indicator light is off. This will last for around fifteen minutes and then, just as randomly, will go back to normal. I haven't noticed any correlation with certain open programs, whether I'm online or not, or anything like that.

So, basically, the appearance of CPU being at 100% but without the task manager showing anything unusual. I ran checkdisk and it came up clean. I'm decently defragmented, clean of spyware (Spybot, Adaware, Ewido), and Sophos hasn't picked anything up. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hello ktwsolo

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer Checklist. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. too many startup programs, to many programs open at one time, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM etc. Further, as your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ktwsolo

ktwsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:10 AM

Yeah I read through that. I have very few startup programs, 1.5ghz processor, 1gig of RAM, the problem occurs and disappears regardless of how many programs I have open, again my task manager doesn't show anything unusual.

If it were just running slower I wouldn't bring it up here, but it's periods of incredible slowness without the task manager reporting high CPU or memory usage and without it sounding like the computer is working hard that makes me suspicious.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Here are a few more suggestions.

Increase performance by doing this:
1. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced and click on "Settings" under performance. Then UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again.

2. Right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "Okay".

If your short on space, clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transfer old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive.

Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Many startup programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance.

Go to Start > Run and type: msconfig
Click "OK" or press "Enter" and the [i]System Configuration Utility[i] will open.
Go to the Startup Tab, and see what programs are listed.

If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search the Startup Programs Database.

Check for any unnecessary running services. Use this guide to help fine tune this area: Black Viper's Services Configuration.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

Have you checked the networking tab in TaskManager when this happens? It could be data transfer slowing down the works by either legitimate programs - such as automatically updating - or bad ones.

I find that my system will slow down if there is quite a bit of data transfer going on at the time.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users