Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a portable program to open TrueCrypt files. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

I used to own 2 computers that have both been trashed in the past week, so now I don't own a computer anymore, but I still have a flash drive with all my data backed up on it.  All files are in TrueCrypt container files on the flash drive, which I created using TrueCrypt, and later was able to use VeraCrypt to open.  Those programs were installed on my computers, which I no longer have.  So now I use the computers at the public library.  They don't give me Administrator privledges.  So in order to open my TrueCrypt / VeraCrypt containers and have access to my data, I need a Portable version of one of those programs--or another program that is similar to those.  

So far, I tried getting a Portable version of VeraCrypt and found instructions online to simply Extract the files rather than clicking Install after downloading the program in order to make it Portable.  I did that, but then couldn't find what I was instructed to do next.  It said, "After you extract files from the VeraCrypt self-extracting package, you can directly run VeraCrypt.exe". Where is this VeraCrypt.exe located? I don't see that file name. If I knew what they were talking about, this would probably be the easiest method for me to run the program.

Right now on my flash drive, I have a VeraCrypt folder with files in it after clicking on Extract Files as opposed to Install.  Most of them are language files.  I clicked all the ones listed as type "Application", but keep getting the error message that I need to be an Administrator.  I don't know what else to do at this point.

I don't see anywhere where I'm given the option of running VeraCrypt.exe.  I don't see that anywhere.  Can someone help me with this?

Edited by Toshiba2015, 01 June 2016 - 01:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

I don't believe you can run Veracrypt or Truecrypt as a portable application unless you have admin rights on the computer. They need to install a driver on the computer in order to access the container.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=199

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Portable%20Mode

Do you still have access to the computers? Were they trashed because of hardware issues?

#3 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

I don't believe you can run Veracrypt or Truecrypt as a portable application unless you have admin rights on the computer. They need to install a driver on the computer in order to access the container.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=199

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Portable%20Mode

Do you still have access to the computers? Were they trashed because of hardware issues?

Is there any other program that can open TrueCrypt containers and can be run portably without Admin rights?

I have access to the computers, at least what's left of them.  But they're in a physically trashed state now, so they don't even look like computers anymore.  That's what they get for messing with me and giving me problems and pushing me to the end of my rope!  :smash:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

No, you need admin rights as both programs need to run a required driver.

I think your only option now depending on your budget is to try and piece one computer together from parts and install a linux OS. I am able to run Veracrypt on Ubuntu. You may be able to find a decent computer that has been refurbished at your local Goodwill or perhaps you can find something on craigslist. 

Do you know someone who has a computer they would let you borrow for a short period so you could pull the data from your containers?

#5 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

No, you need admin rights as both programs need to run a required driver.

I think your only option now depending on your budget is to try and piece one computer together from parts and install a linux OS. I am able to run Veracrypt on Ubuntu. You may be able to find a decent computer that has been refurbished at your local Goodwill or perhaps you can find something on craigslist. 

Do you know someone who has a computer they would let you borrow for a short period so you could pull the data from your containers?

No, I'm afraid I don't know of anyone.  Well, it's likely I'll be getting another laptop, but I'm just not anxious to run out and buy it right now, considering all the trouble I had with the previous one.  Maybe in about 5 months or so.  I was just hoping to be able to access my data in the meantime.  But aren't there any other programs other than TC and VC that can open those files?  There seem to be programs that are meant to open or run numerous types of files.  VLC Player is an example of a video program that can run numerous video and audio files.  7Zip can be used to open many different types of compressed files. Is there a "File opener" out there that can open encrypted files as long as the correct password is used?  It's kind of hard to think that only TC and VC can open the files created by those programs.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

With the encryption both utilize I know of no other programs that can open containers created by these programs. Possibly somebody else on the forum knows of a program but I still think it would need admin rights in order to run.

#7 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

With the encryption both utilize I know of no other programs that can open containers created by these programs. Possibly somebody else on the forum knows of a program but I still think it would need admin rights in order to run.

I guess I can understand that.  Well, one last question about it:  I found out in another thread that I can hook my old laptop's hard drive to any computer using a SATA adaptor that basically lets me use my old hard drive as if it were a flash drive by plugging it into the USB port.  If I were to hook up my old hard drive to a computer that I don't have admin rights to, would I be able to use TrueCrypt that way?  I thought it might help that it's on my old hard drive that was on my old computer that did have admin rights.  Would the old hard drive hooked up to a different computer in this way give me the admin rights I would need?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

No, you still would need admin rights on the computer you are using to access the containers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users