Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to Upgrade my Dell Inspiron to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimmykup

jimmykup

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

Last week I purchased a new desktop from Dell.com. The desktop comes with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit pre-installed and also came with a free copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Windows 10 came with the desktop in the form of a DVD that I have picutred here: http://i.imgur.com/Z3N84IS.jpg

Does anyone have experience using the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgrade disc that comes with this desktop?

I popped the included disc in, rebooted the computer, and then hit F12 to boot from the disc. The disc ran and I attempted to select the option to install Windows 10 and keep my files that are on the drive. It attempted to install but then stopped because there was a "partition missing". So instead, I then tried another option which was to wipe the entire drive clean and install Windows 10. That didn't work either because drive is locked. 

Here is a link to an Imgur album I created: http://imgur.com/a/JprJf - This album includes photos I took of the Windows 10 install process so you can see what I am dealing with.

I considered upgrading to Windows 10 via the icon in the system tray. But I haven't done so thus far. I wasn't sure it was the best method. Will the Windows 10 upgrade I get from that be Windows 10 Pro? I'd feel more comfortable installing from the disc since they did give it to me afterall. And having a WORKING copy of Windows 10 on a disc is good peace of mind for the future.

There is an astonishingly low amount of search results related to my problem on the internet. The official Dell community support forums have very low traffic so I've yet to get a response from there. I was hoping someone here had some experience or advice to offer me.

Some more background on my end goal: This specific desktop came with a 2TB HDD. My end goal here is to swap in a 250GB SSD I bought separately as the drive that will run the OS and use the included 2TB HDD for media storage. I was advised by a close friend to first upgrade my Windows 7 Pro on the 2TB HDD to Windows 10 Pro, activate it, wipe it, and then move forward with doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my SSD. Here was his reasoning:

"if you will use 10, you may need to upgrade the existing 7 install that is on the HDD, then once upgraded be sure to verify windows 10 is activated than you can wipe everything and install 10 from scratch on the SSD, it should self activate as you have previously activated the upgraded version on the computer. i think it is called digital entitlement and you dont need to provide product key during the install part of win 10, on my computers it automatically happened after the installation was done."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

I would try the upgrade route from the icon in the system tray (Notification area).

Do not be disappointed if the update doesn't please you - updating from a well-used copy of Windows 7 to Windows 10 often has little nagging problems that will make you wish you'd gone the "wipe and reinstall" route.

But, if it works, then all is well.

If it doesn't work, then download the W10 media creation tool and the W10 ISO from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

It's the link under the "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" section.

Be sure to backup all of your data, as this will wipe everything off your hard drive.

When installing it that way, it'll let you change your partitions at some point during the installation.

Take this opportunity to delete all of the partitions and let the Windows installer re-create the partitions for you.

Finally, don't forget to check Device Manager to ensure that all of your devices have been updated/installed.

Once W10 is successfully installed, there are a number of ways to backup the entire system.

Then you can either clone the system to the SSD, or you can do another clean install of W10 on the SSD.

Once W10 is activated permanently, you can then re-install W10 without the product key - on the same hardware.

Changing a hard drive won't affect this, but other major changes might.

To check the activation status, open a Command Prompt and type "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and then press Enter.

Most recently, when doing this at work, I've had to select both
- skip (the 1st time it asks)

- do it later (the 2nd time it asks)

Then, once the installation is done, as long as I'm connected to the internet, then the system will automatically activate.

Edited by usasma, 03 June 2016 - 05:09 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users