Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to put win 7 image back on ssd drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jack handy

jack handy

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

I have a 240GB Corsair force ssd drive that was not booting. I tried all of the regular ways to get it back but ended up formatting and prepping it for a re-image that I had made prior. I have done many re-images since win7 came out and have never had an issue. This one is killing me. I have tried everything I know to get it to re-image. This is the first UEFI bios that I have worked with. I have tried booting from the win7 cd and going the repair route and using the rescue disc as well with no luck. I am wondering if there is any software that I can use for the re-image process and then just stick the drive in there. I don't mind paying for the software I just don't have time to keep researching different methods. I haven't found much info on this as I am sure most people do not go this route. I am desperate for some guidance. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hi,

The image you have was created using the Windows 7 image backup feature?

What happen when you boot from the Windows 7 CD?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Yes, the image I created was using the built in Windows 7 backup image.

When I boot from the Windows 7 install cd It says:

This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows.

Then when I try it from the recovery disk that I created from the other identical computer I built it says:

The system image restore failed.

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using bios.

I have restored factory defaults in the bios as it was when the drive and OS were installed.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

What is the brand and model of the machine?

Check the BIOS/UEFI you need to make sure that CSM is enabled and Secure boot disabled. The terms used change from manufacture to manufacture.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

It is an Asus p9x79 le. CSM is enabled and under secure boot it gives me the following 2 options: 1. Windows UEFI Mode 2. Other OS. I have tried both of those options.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

This is just a shot in the dark, but get your hands on an older, standard hard disk drive and attempt a restore to that, just to test.

I hope the following information will help:

> I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and I upgraded to a Crucial 500gig SSD, and had no trouble restoring Windows 7 Ult onto the SSD from an image made on my old Seagate 1TB HDD.  I have AHCI enabled, but do not have Secure Boot on my motherboard.

>Just this week, I restored a Windows 7 Ult image onto a new Samsung 500gig SSD when I upgraded my wife's computer from an image made from her 500gig Seagate HDD (on an older Asus motherboard) with no problems. AHCI is not enabled on her BIOS, and of course no Secure Boot.

I suspect that Secure Boot is doing you dirt. Is there any way to totally disable Secure Boot in your BIOS? From your post, it sounds like Secure Boot is enabled, but giving you the option of two choices, but leaving Secure Boot enabled.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 June 2016 - 06:41 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

It is an Asus p9x79 le. CSM is enabled and under secure boot it gives me the following 2 options: 1. Windows UEFI Mode 2. Other OS. I have tried both of those options.

In theory Secure boot should be set to Other OS but there is a bug on some Asus motherboards that accept to boot Windows 7 with Secure boot enabled!

I have a 240GB Corsair force ssd drive that was not booting. I tried all of the regular ways to get it back but ended up formatting and prepping it for a re-image that I had made prior.

I suggest you delete everything on the SSD there is no need of preparing the drive when you restore a full system image.

Check the Sata Mode option, this setting must match with the selection at the time the backup was created.

By any chance did you update the BIOS between the date of the backup and today?

___
Rui

#8 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

I have it currently on AHCI but I'm now wondering if I had it on IDE when I installed and switched it over at some point. I will try that and get back to you. I appreciate your suggestions and help.

#9 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

I just changed The SATA mode to IDE rebooted and went off of the windows 7 cd to do the restore and got the error code:

The system image restore failed.

Error details: The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation. (0x8078012D)

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

I doubt that it works as IDE because the SSD needs AHCI sometimes it also work when set as RAID even when you don't have a RAID setup.

___
Rui

#11 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

I think I'll change it back to IDE reboot and try the external drive that has the image on it in another usb port.

#12 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

Well this is crazy but I finally got it to go. I had 3 different drives that contained backup images. Two of the backup drives are Western Digital and one of them is a Hitachi. The 2 that I were trying were both the Western Digital and I finally tried the Hitachi and it went as smooth as it should have. So for anyone out there trying to restore a win7 image from a Western digital drive to an Asus mobo might have the same issue. I do thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. Thank you.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Did you use a different USB port? maybe the restore doesn't work if you use a USB3 port!

___
Rui

#14 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

No, I used the same usb port for the Hitachi (the one that worked) that I was using for the Western Digital external drives.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

No, I used the same usb port for the Hitachi (the one that worked) that I was using for the Western Digital external drives.

Ok. Thanks.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users