Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DWM.exe slowly climbing in ram usage - until computer is un-usable

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fataleffect

fataleffect

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

I have problems with dwm.exe is there any chances of fixing this memory leak?

i have a program called procexp i can send the dump files if needed.

thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes and let it collapse the filecache as well.

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

- Did you tell Windows to have a fixed size for the pagefile ? Then let Windows manage the (size of the) pagefile.

#3 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes and let it collapse the filecache as well.

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

- Did you tell Windows to have a fixed size for the pagefile ? Then let Windows manage the (size of the) pagefile.

I have cleanmem installed already it isn't really a permanent fix, is there any other way of fixing this issue?

I haven't touched my windows pagefile, can you give instructions on how to do this?

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

- Did you recently install a new program or a new video driver ?

- Did you upgrade from say Win 7 or Win 8 to Win 10 ? Or did you do a fresh clean install of Win 10 ?

- Change the size of the pagefile

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=52

- Run Sysinternals' RAMMAP and what are the changes when that memory usage increases ?

- Open Resource monitor (memory tab) and see how all the memory parts behave when you're using your system.

#5 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

The page file already had those settings so that is out of the question.

I upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 as soon as it was available. 

No new programs or video drivers have caused this , as far as I'm aware.

Sorry if I'm not of much use.

- Did you recently install a new program or a new video driver ?

- Did you upgrade from say Win 7 or Win 8 to Win 10 ? Or did you do a fresh clean install of Win 10 ?

- Change the size of the pagefile

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=52

- Run Sysinternals' RAMMAP and what are the changes when that memory usage increases ?

- Open Resource monitor (memory tab) and see how all the memory parts behave when you're using your system.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

This tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

Okay after doing everything instructed I still haven't managed to find a fix along the lines.

Slightly frustrating what's next?

This tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:

1)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

2)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

3)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

4)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

(Please don't quote every reply in your reply)

- Did this problem start to happen recently ? There were some reports that the latest release/update of Win 10 was (a bit) "buggy". And that even Microsoft wasn't able to fix all the bugs in that release.

#9 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

Sorry for quoting each reply!

It was a big program before which was more under control, it went away after an update.  I swear its been happening again since the latest windows update. My friend has exactly the same problem.

Edited by fataleffect, 02 June 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

- Yep, that makes it likely that some change in Win 10 caused that increase in memory usage.

- Usasma gave an excellent list of things you can do. Get to work and report back.

#11 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

I reported back after doing all those things on the list, the next thing is fresh install I guess? I think I'd rather wait and hope they patch it in next update.

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

- Are you able to roll back one or more updates ? That perhaps also could solve the problem.

#13 fataleffect

fataleffect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

I'll give it a go when I next have some spare time :)

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

So, let's talk about this (I've added System Restore and a repair install to the list I posted previously):
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS.  Obviously this is probably the course that most people want to take.  We can start looking at reports and keep on trying different fixes.  At any point you may decide to just quit and move on to one of the other options

- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.  Probably the least intrusive attempt at a repair - unfortunately, it may be that there are no restore points, or that there aren't any that are suitable to use.

- Repair install of W10: https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options).  For this, I'd suggest trying the "Keep My Files" option immediately.  It preserves your data, but it may remove some installed programs (I know that it removes Office, as I've had this experience at work).  If using the Remove Everything option, then you're going to have to backup your stuff, as this will erase everything.

- W10 clean install - this is the suggested solution.  It leaves no remnants of the old OS on your system - and you start out with a clean slate.  The only drawback here is if any of your hardware isn't compatible w/W10.

Edited by usasma, 03 June 2016 - 04:56 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

- Question: Did you install all "Optional" Win 10 updates ? Because Windows (not only Win 10 but e.g. Win 7 as well) seem to contain a bug that makes the process "DWM.exe" use more and more memory (a.k.a. "Memory Leak") over time. To fix that bug MS has released a path that (supposedly) should fix that "memory leak" problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users