Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blackmail: who to ask for help?!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Byz121

Byz121

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi

I was involved in something last year (it was not a "campaign" or "cause"). Last week my self-hosted Wordpress website was hacked (I'm not going to bother restoring it). And the other day someone emailed me this from a Protonmail account:

We would like to inform you that we have been monitoring your activities for the past few months. Although we do support your cause, your callous actions have done more harm than good in bringing to justice those involved. For this reason we had to take you down, to bring credibility back to this campaign. You should know that we do have an image of all the data on your main computer, and control of your spare computer as well as all of your associated accounts will be imminent unless you cease and desist your operations. We will monitor you and if you cooperate, then there will be no further repercussions. We will seek justice for the victims by shining the light of truth on the guilty and their actions.

The Digital Jury

The message is illogical - if they have been monitoring me then they will know that I am not involved in any "operations".  There is nothing to "cease and desist". The website they hacked had not been active for months and I had moved on into pastures new. All the same, they did hack it and they do sound like crackpots and I have noticed peculiarities with my computer. 

Which forum should I ask for help? Is this about hacking? Is spyware involved? Should I "just" buy a new computer or does the fact that they claim to have control over two computers (if this is true) indicate that "they" might be in my router? Is that possible and if so, who do I ask for help here? Does this have anything to do with my ISP?

Indeed, is there any point in asking for help at all if they really are monitoring me? Is it possible that some kind of time-wasting cat and mouse situation might arise as some kind tech person tries to help fix things and they are one step ahead?

I'd be very grateful for any advice pointing me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Byz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users