Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Install Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

i have an acer aspire with bad hard drive, i am going to replace the drive, i dont have any recovery install media, so i am going to create a bootable USB drive from an ISO file,

will my product key still be valid if i do this?

will windows activate automatically?

i am not sure if it had 8 or 8.1

would it matter which one i install when it comes to the activation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

Yes. You have to make sure the version of windows that you're installing is the same as the CD key. For instance you can't use a Home 32 bit key for a Home 64 bit install.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:42 AM

Yes. You have to make sure the version of windows that you're installing is the same as the CD key. For instance you can't use a Home 32 bit key for a Home 64 bit install.

i realize that, but what about windows 8 or 8.1?

will it make a difference if i install the incorrect one? or will my product key work for both?

is there any way to find out what it came with?....8 or 8.1?.....32 or 64?

Edited by mikey11, 01 June 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

No, because windows 8.1 is an upgrade from 8 so that shouldn't affect it.

If you install the software and go to input the product key and it's wrong it will say the product key is invalid for this version (not the exact terminology but close enough). The best way to go about figuring out which version it was is to look at the product key sticker on the computer and it should tell you. If there isn't one then you could try looking at the manual or look up the model of the computer because certain models had just one version of the OS installed unless it was a custom build. Also if you have more than 4 GB of ram it's going to be 64 bit.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

thanks,

my computer doesnt have a product key sticker, i thought windows 8 would activate automatically....no?

#6 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

Only if you have the recovery disk. At work I have a windows 7 recovery disk for our HP computers. I just pop the cd in and reformat everything and it seems to pull the previous product key off the computer as I've never had to reinput the product key and it activates once connected to the internet without a problem.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

thanks,

my computer doesnt have a product key sticker, i thought windows 8 would activate automatically....no?

Yes the key is stored on the BIOS/UEFI of the machine.

Edit: If during install you get a prompt for the key simply click the skip button or the option to enter the key later.

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 June 2016 - 08:33 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

Sorry that isn't true the Keys are specific for the Windows edition not for the OS bits.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/187228-downgrade-oem-64bit-to-32bit

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Sorry that isn't true the Keys are specific for the Windows edition not for the OS bits.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/187228-downgrade-oem-64bit-to-32bit

Interesting. I tried this before and it didn't work. Must've done something wrong at the time. Learn something new everyday.

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

thanks,

Yes the key is stored on the BIOS/UEFI of the machine.

Edit: If during install you get a prompt for the key simply click the skip button or the option to enter the key later.

thanks, thats what i thought

Edited by mikey11, 01 June 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#11 ranksign

ranksign

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

I THINK YOU HAVE TO INSTALL WINDOW 8.1 IT IS BEST VERSION THEN 8.0 AND FOOR DOWNLOAD WINDOW 8.1 YOU CAN USE THIS LINK webforpc.com/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1-download-official-32-bit-64-bit-iso/

Edited by ranksign, 05 June 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

I THINK YOU HAVE TO INSTALL WINDOW 8.1 IT IS BEST VERSION THEN 8.0 AND FOOR DOWNLOAD WINDOW 8.1 YOU CAN USE THIS LINK webforpc.com/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1-download-official-32-bit-64-bit-iso/

The product code is tied to the version that was originally installed.

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2016 - 10:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

thanks, i installed windows 8 from an iso file, it worked and activated automatically

Edited by mikey11, 07 June 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

thanks, i installed windows 8 from an iso file, it worked and activated automatically

:thumbup2:

___
Rui

#15 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users