Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Market Share

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Contrary to some who laud Win 10 to the high heavens its market share is only around 17 %, dwarfed by Win 7 with 48%. Is microsoft being realistic on Win 10 takeup. Many seem to be voting with their feet and sticking with what they've got.

See

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

With how hard Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 on to people it wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging the numbers. I just really want to know why Microsoft is so aggressive with trying to convert people to Windows 10.

#3 tealover

tealover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Avoid! !,

they tolerate no discussion,unlike Bleeping Computer They are complete fanboys of Win 10 and go into orbit if you suggest it might be no good. Do you remember when Microsoft said that Win 8 would be their last OS and it went down the toilet. Will Win 10 go the same way. I suppose we'll get Win XXX with MS saying it will be installed on trillions of devices

Does Microsoft pull these figures out of a hat? They seem to be  complete fantasy..What planet are Microsoft living on?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 June 2016 - 04:48 PM.
originally posted in Speak Easy. merged into this topic.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

With how hard Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 on to people it wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging the numbers. I just really want to know why Microsoft is so aggressive with trying to convert people to Windows 10.

I have to say I haven't seen a lot wrong with Windows 10, but I agree with you that it's difficult to understand why MS is pushing so hard when there's really nothing wrong with 7.  I know they said they'd have 10 on a billion computers within a year, and they haven't, but still I don't see that as sufficient reason for all they're doing.  Something just doesn't smell quite right, does it. :wizardball:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

Something just doesn't smell quite right, does it. :wizardball: ......quite correct Niweg...something is more than a little 'on the nose'

When a company...any company...involves itself or displays 'unusual behaviour'.....there will always be a motive. Always.

I rambled on and on when win X first hit the boards that there was a smell to it that was not good....and warned that there was no such thing as a free lunch

The 'smell' has increased, with the relentless pushing of the os to people who have quite clearly signalled that they do not wish to have it.

msft's attitude is abhorrent. If a person in ut midst was to exxhibit the same traits as msft does, we would treat them in the  'normal' wat that humans do....shun them...or in some way express our displeasure at their arrogance etc etc

But there is another human frailty at work here...we want to see just how far they will go....we are curious to see just how far into the "no go zone" they are actually willing to push.

One thing you can be absolutely certain of

The motivation behind all this crap....

$

I have chosen to step sideways....Linux is my answer

Which raises an interesting point....what is Linux's share of the 'market'..?....and has it risen in the time that Win X has been released ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

I wonder if Microsoft still counts the Windows 10 install if one reverts to the previous OS.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

I wonder if Microsoft still counts the Windows 10 install if one reverts to the previous OS.

Ultimately, regardless of what they count, virtually everyone who's on a Windows platform and who intends to stay on one will be on Windows 10 or whatever its successor is called (and there will be one).

I don't get what the major push is about other than wanting to have the minimum resources necessary dedicated to supporting what are Windows releases that are in their death throes.  I don't know of any company that likes to support any more variants on a given theme than it absolutely must.  This is true of every OS producer that I know of, and eventually they all say, "As of this drop dead date, we will no longer support [insert appropriate software or OS version here]," and then they don't.

Edited by britechguy, 01 June 2016 - 06:35 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

tealover and others, in case you are interested, I grabbed the market share data from that same website July 2015

Compare the May 2016 data you posted

July 2015 & May 2016

Attached Files

Edited by cmptrgy, 01 June 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

Itr would be interesting to know just how many PC's/OS's the 'market' represents......obviously the Apple people have been out there doing their thing becasue they have established a 8.52% 'share'.....which does not appear to have been taken from windows......therefore there has been a takeup of the mac product presumably from either business or 'new' users...??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users