Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable hidden keylogger in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JamesR199

JamesR199

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

interesting article i've read...maybe some of you already knew about this, but its new to me  :o

http://desktop-mobile.com/disable-hidden-keylogger-windows-10/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:46 AM

Yeah I found that by accident when I was going through the settings to disable as much of the data gathering as possible. I really wouldn't go as far as saying it's a keylogger though. Seems like it functions that same as the text recognition software does on cell phones.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Seems like it functions that same as the text recognition software does on cell phones.

It's the exact same thing. Every other companies does it: Google, Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc. People who calls this a "keylogger" and are offended by it just don't understand the concept. They don't know that word autocompletion, suggestion, etc. all relies on that kind of module to work. All of this became publicized because Microsoft and Windows 10 are "mainstream", but all the years before that, no one ever complained about it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

And, here's a third for the concept that "Speech, inking, & typing" settings (specifically typing) do not refer to a keylogger in any conventional sense of that term.  Anyone who thinks that Microsoft is sending a pipeline of each and every character you type back to their servers for analysis hasn't thought this through at all nor have they looked at network traffic with the settings configured in their various "on" and "off" states.

Predictive text became standard operating procedure a long, long time ago and no one has ever called that keylogging.  The amount of pure hyperbole that Windows 10 has generated from certain quarters has been amazing, and not in a good way.

It's also amazing to see the author of this article state, in the first sentence of paragraph #3, "First of all you will need to know that this feature was not put there to evidently spy on you," followed by a perfectly rational explanation of why personal digital assistants (and that includes Siri, by the way) have to build a personal profile on you in order to perform their functions.  Then, in the concluding sentence, "Now at least Microsoft will not spy on you."   So, which is it?   Any rational person knows the answer to that question, but apparently the author does not.

Edited by britechguy, 01 June 2016 - 09:48 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

And, here's a third for the concept that "Speech, inking, & typing" settings (specifically typing) do not refer to a keylogger in any conventional sense of that term.  Anyone who thinks that Microsoft is sending a pipeline of each and every character you type back to their servers for analysis hasn't thought this through at all nor have they looked at network traffic with the settings configured in their various "on" and "off" states.

Predictive text became standard operating procedure a long, long time ago and no one has ever called that keylogging.  The amount of pure hyperbole that Windows 10 has generated from certain quarters has been amazing, and not in a good way.

It's also amazing to see the author of this article state, in the first sentence of paragraph #3, "First of all you will need to know that this feature was not put there to evidently spy on you," followed by a perfectly rational explanation of why personal digital assistants (and that includes Siri, by the way) have to build a personal profile on you in order to perform their functions.  Then, in the concluding sentence, "Now at least Microsoft will not spy on you."   So, which is it?   Any rational person knows the answer to that question, but apparently the author does not.

Can you tell me how to turn autocomplete or predictive text ON?  My new laptop doesn't do it so I assume it's a switch or setting somewhere.  I like when it rekeys what I keyed a minute ago and now want to amend slightly and don't have to type it all again.  Just don't know where to find it.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Autocomplete is, to my knowledge, a function of the web browser you are using.  Without knowing which one that is it is impossible to advise.  A web search on the browser name along with "autocomplete" as the search terms should turn up more sets of step-by-step instructions than you care to read for any web browser you choose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

Autocomplete is, to my knowledge, a function of the web browser you are using.  Without knowing which one that is it is impossible to advise.  A web search on the browser name along with "autocomplete" as the search terms should turn up more sets of step-by-step instructions than you care to read for any web browser you choose.

Thanks for that.  I went an looked in Microsoft's browser and can see how to turn on form complete (it was already on).  I really want the ability to "finish" search terms I begin typing such as when I search "gas stations near me" then want to find "gas stations Bradenton"  and I type "gas st......." and it completes the one I typed first, "near me" and I just have to change the last bit.  I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology.  Pretty much I mean that it remembers what I typed in before.  Hope this makes sense.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

What you describe is entirely clear, but again, it's a function of the search engine settings for the search engine(s) you routinely use.  Here are those settings in the search engines I commonly use and you find these in their own settings once you've landed on the search page itself:

DuckDuckGo - Auto Suggest

Google - Google Instant Predictions (in Search Settings)

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Some of these issues that folks have about Microsoft's privacy stems from Cortana. She learns your speaking dialect, and your writing and typing skills, who your friends are, what sports teams you like, where you live, your age, what you buy and many "other" things that are very useful to you. Including the browser your using. Microsoft also stated in their privacy policy that they reserve the right to give this information to trusted third party advertisers, Just for your benefit

:thumbup2:

Edit: link in OP's post no longer accessible

Edited by Joe C, 02 May 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#10 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

What you describe is entirely clear, but again, it's a function of the search engine settings for the search engine(s) you routinely use.  Here are those settings in the search engines I commonly use and you find these in their own settings once you've landed on the search page itself:

Thanks for the tip.  I have it working ok in Bing but Chrome refuses to do it, even though I have the two search prediction boxes ticked.  Judging by the vast number of complaints on Chrome forums, it looks like Google has no interest in solving this whatsoever.  Has been going on for a long time.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I have it working ok in Bing but Chrome refuses to do it, even though I have the two search prediction boxes ticked.  Judging by the vast number of complaints on Chrome forums, it looks like Google has no interest in solving this whatsoever.  Has been going on for a long time.

Well, it is no surprise that Google does not, and probably will not, disable features of its search engine under Chrome.  It's an integrated product line.

This is not unlike Microsoft forcing the use of the Bing search engine if you use Cortana and include web search results.  It's been ages since that forced marriage took place, and now it looks like the obvious way to stop the inclusion of web searches and inclusion of their results has been removed from Cortana & Search settings.  What's interesting is that I neutered Cortana to behave almost precisely like Windows Search always did when I first installed Windows 10, and those choices have remained in place through the updates to versions 1511, 1607, and 1703 even though the toggles that controlled web search are now nowhere to be seen.

There are prices you pay for integrated product lines.  You have to decide if they're worth it.   For myself, I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine in all web browsers and, of course, am still not using Cortana's personal digital assistant functions in any way.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users