Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hi

see the link for another possible devious patch

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3030211/microsoft-windows/experts-recommend-dont-install-microsoft-patch-kb-3123862.html

Cheers

Edited by rozzer, 01 June 2016 - 01:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

I mentioned this one in my updates monitoring thread a while back, basically it's very similar to KB3035583. Users who do not want to install windows 10, and that would be most of the people who still have windows 8.1 or 7*, should not install this update. They should hide it (although it may be re-released in future at which point it would need hiding again) and ensure updates are set to check automatically but not to download without user approval. In short, users should make sure to only install updates that are needed, rather than trust updates to be fully automated and then remove or hide unwanted ones later.

*It's been almost a year since windows 10 was made available, most people who want it will have it already.

Edited by rp88, 03 June 2016 - 12:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

This is why I refuse to install any optional updates, only Security Updates. I also uncheck the box that asks if I want to receive recommended updates the same way I receive important updates in settings. 

At least we will not have to worry about this after July.

#4 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:33 AM

I'm the same with the updates, but I also turn off BITS and WU to disabled
and then active them again to check my updates, then deactivate them after, how
paranoid we are getting lol, it also stop junk downloading or working in the
background, I have been doing this for many many years with no ill effects.

Edited by rozzer, 04 June 2016 - 03:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users