Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have failing internal drive connected externally, cannot access my user folder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Amedeus

Amedeus

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

Apologies if this isn't the right subforum for this. I wasn't sure if this would technically be considered an internal or external hardware issue. Or something else entirely.

So the backstory is, I had an internal hard drive in my Acer Aspire laptop which was failing slowly. Just memory issues, I never had any problems accessing any of the folders I ever use. I had gotten some things backed up, but the external drive I got for this was slower than expected and I've been busy / lazy.

So earlier this month Windows started bluescreening more, basically anytime it was on for more than 10 minutes. I was still able to access all the usual files and folders fine.

It's now a couple weeks later. I replaced the hard drive, new one seems to work fine. I reinstalled Windows using manufacturer recovery discs. I've got the old internal drive in a USB case to hook it up externally and copy the remaining files.

I can access all files except for my user folder and subfolders, which is of course where everything I want to access is stored. I can access the general all users folder or whatever it's called, but my specific user folder ("Acer") gives me the following message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." I hit the continue button with the administrator shield on it, but then the directory/progress bar starts filling. As it nears the end, it slows down until it stops and the folder never opens. I tried typing a more specific subdirectory into the bar and going straight there (E:\Users\Acer\Downloads or something of the like) but it didn't see it.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on that laptop. As I said, it's a fresh install with manufacturer settings, so I'm not really sure what's set to what in it right now. The laptop's 5 or so years old, now, so that's probably a lot of changes undone. But I also tried on an old Vista laptop a relative gave me and got the same result.

I'm not sure how much of this information is helpful, but I thought I'd be thorough in case. Please tell me that section of my drive isn't just completely gone or permanently inaccessible. I'll try to provide any additional information you need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

See this video. It's for Vista but holds true for 7 and above.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

Adding to JohnC's advice, one can also prepare a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot, access the problematic hard-drive, copy off data folders and files onto any external media large enough.  Important thing:  carefully, thoroughly get your files, but, do it sooner rather than later.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

I followed the video and I still have the same problem. Fully changed ownership over to the Vista laptop and still cannot access the folder. Same message, still getting the progress bar that never finishes. Would the Linux boot disc still be useful in this case, or is that out now?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

Problem may have been Username - now and before ? and ownership.

Yes you can still use a Linux Distro   http://ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr/knoppix-dvd/

Select the EN Version - 4.1 G

Download and Burn the ISO to a Disc then - 

Insert the Disc and boot from the cdrom , then you will have access to the files you need just Explore and Copy/Paste them.

Edited by Havachat, 02 June 2016 - 03:28 AM.

#6 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:46 AM

Man, I have just had a series of problems with these Linux discs. I burned two - a CD with Slacko for 32 bit, and a 64 bit Knoppix DVD. Both had graphical issues on the Vista, with things being split to the point that I couldn't really do anything. On the Win7, Knoppix showed the splash screen and then booted into blackness. Tried it twice.

Slacko worked on the Win7 and I was able to access my files! ...And then while copying them the screen went black. I booted into Windows and after a minute the screen crashed into a weird, blocky nothing. Restarted, crashed to black. Not sure if that's the poorly vented surface I had it on, something to do with memory, a bad graphics card, drivers, something Slacko did, the new hard drive, or something else entirely. May have to take that to a different subforum.

Anyways, meanwhile, any suggestions for a Linux boot that would work better on the old Vista laptop? It's running a 32 bit Vista, but it seemed to at least boot into Knoppix despite the graphical errors, so it seems like it might handle 64? I'll try switching ownership to the other profile on that as well. And thanks for all the help so far! Almost there, I hope!

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

From THIS PAGE.....

DOWNLOAD THIS 32bit STANDARD precise-5.7.1

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

I find that Lucid Puppy is very compatible with older systems. If your computer can boot from USB then try Rufus with a USB flash drive.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm#lucidpuppy

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#9 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I gave Precise a shot, still had the graphical issues on the Vista. It has to be something to do with the laptop itself.

BUT good news is, seems like the Win7's issues were just from overheating. I've been using Linux to get my files off of it for the past couple nights and haven't had any further problems, so it looks like the problem's solved! Thanks everyone for all the help! I really thought things were a lot worse than they turned out to be :D

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2016 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users