Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Capture Apps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:24 PM

Back in the days of Windows 95-to-98 I tried several screen capure apps.  I remember the
computer magazines alway rated Techsmith Snagit as the best.  I guess a lot of readers
liked this app, but it was a disaster for me.  Nothing worked right, it was a mess.

My favorite was Print Screen Deluxe until Windows XP came along.  When I dragged the
crosshairs to take a rectangular screenshot the results were not good.  The image captured
was always shifted left, right, up, or down.  It never captured the image inside the crosshairs!
Instead of contacting the author or posting about this problem I just stopped using Print
Screen.

I've got a couple of freeware screenshot apps that are ok, but they don't work perfectly all
the time.  Can someone recommend a good screen capture app, similar to the old Print Screen
Deluxe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:01 AM

You should have a look at Greenshot. It's Open Source Freeware.

http://getgreenshot.org/

Have a read here also: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-best-tools-creating-screenshots-compared/

Edited by saw101, 01 June 2016 - 04:03 AM.

Don’t worry about what people think. They don’t do it very often.

#3 EncoMan

EncoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:46 AM

I like the headline at getgreenshot.org:

"Way better intuitive control than Skitch or Snag-it. And it’s free."

My experience with open source is mixed.  It's usually extremely good or just plain awful.

I was an avid reader of several computer magazines when they were printed on paper.  Seems
like a million years ago.  I must have tried an early version of Snagit based on glowing reviews.
Not a single feature functioned properly!  After that, I never completely trusted "expert" opinions
about software.

I'll definitely try Greenshot.

Thank you saw101.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:53 AM

You're most welcome EncoMan. Let us know how you like it when you get the chance.

Don’t worry about what people think. They don’t do it very often.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

I still use Print Screen Key , Paste in Powerpoint , save as Jpeg - then Edit in PhotoShop.

But even quicker with using Snap Function in Maxthon Browser Built in Addons , for past 2 years.

Whatever works in the end for the Indviduals needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users