Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uitimate

Uitimate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

So i noticed my computer being a bit slow playing games and surfing the internet and such... I opened my task manager to see that "System and compressed memory" was taking up alot of my memory. Does anyone know what this is and how i can fix it from taking up so much memory i have 16 gb of ram this should not be a issue. If anyone has any info or can help me fix it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S It takes up like 140 - 200 + MB my memory sits at 98%!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

Windows 10 still uses a pagefile when it has to. However, now when your computer’s memory starts to fill up, Windows 10 will start compressing old pages of memory so they take up less space, similar to what happens when you create a ZIP archive of multiple files. So, for example, if you have an app running that you haven’t touched in a while, rather than copying the information about that app to pagefile, Windows will simply make it smaller, but keep it in memory. The trade off, of course, is that decompressing the compressed memory takes up more CPU cycles. Typically, however, this performance cost is much, much lower than it would be if the system had to retrieve data from a hard drive (even SSDs). So even with the compression, it’s faster to pull those old apps out of memory than it is to load them from the hard drive’s pagefile.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users