Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Getting Full

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

I have a 120GB hdd and it is new. Very little installed on it, probably about 6 GB or maybe 7.

Quickbooks has been freezing up, and it is getting worse in it's freezing.

AVG is not starting anymore, the error messages at startup says a .dll file is missing.

A look at the hard drive through My Computer shows only 11 GB free space and over 100GB of data. The thing is I can't find the data and don't know what it is. Even with hidden files shown I cannot find it, I only find what I expect to find.

Temp folder is only a few MB, even with hidden files shown.

I put the hard drive in a known good computer as a slave and it reports the exact same thing.

Any ideas? Do I have a bad hard drive that is reporting bad?

EDIT: It is a seagate SATA drive, and I just ran all three versions of Seagate's online hard drive tester and it passed all tests. I have now downloaded their OS independant, more complete test, and will run it now.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 August 2006 - 02:46 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hi Albert, Try turning off the system restore. You will lose your restore points but if I am right after you boot you will have tons of space back. Also are you using anything like Symantec products = NIS?

Also you can try this little program to tell you where the fullest part of the disk is:

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Edited by ThorXP, 09 August 2006 - 03:35 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

I have run all the Seagate tests, and the hard drive passed all.

Thanks for responding ThorXP. I do not have any Norton products on this machine.

I have downloaded the utility, run it, and it says there is about 5 GB of data on the hard drive (which is correct) - and yet XP says it is almost full. Look at this:

Posted Image

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 August 2006 - 04:17 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

What is in the root directory of Drive C:\?

Edited by ThorXP, 09 August 2006 - 04:48 PM.

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

try start, run, cmd, then type chkdsk /f /r - you may be told test will have to be done when computer rebooted, agree, and reboot.

if chkdsk does not solve your prob, i would suspect some infection, make sure
your av is up to date and do a full scan
if you cant get your av to work try an online scan from trendmico, sorry, cant remember the addy offhand, google trendmicro homevisit and you should get there!
cheers

Edited by rubiconeye, 09 August 2006 - 05:09 PM.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

What is in the root directory of Drive C:\?

I think that is listed in the tree as there is a minus (-) sign next to C:\, meaning it's contents have been expanded and shown. There is a total of about 5 to 6 GB on this computer that is shown and that coincides with what I would guess and expect to see on the drive.

try start, run, cmd, then type chkdsk /f /r

Will do, although one of the tests I did from Seagate scanned the surface looking for bad sectors. None were found.

i would suspect some infection

As did I, and perhaps still do. I ran a HijackThis log, and seeing I am in training here at BC to work the HijackThis forum, I think I have enough skills to look for an infection - well, I hope so. I will finish going over the log later.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hey how are we supposed to learn come on and share the HJT log with us, we would like to help. Please!!!!

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

try start, run, cmd, then type chkdsk /f /r .

Checkdisk won't work if you type in both the f and the r . I have pasted in some info. from the microsoft checkdisk page which discusses the different codes and syntax needed for the different functions of checkdisk.

Syntax

chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/i] [/c] [/l[:size]]

Parameters

volume: : Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.

[Path] FileName : Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.

/f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/v : Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

/x : Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.

/i : Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/c : Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/l[:size] : Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.
Top of pageTop of page
Remarks

Running chkdsk

To run chkdsk on a fixed disk, you must be a member of the Administrators group.

Checking a locked drive at restart

If you want chkdsk to correct disk errors, you cannot have open files on the drive. If files are open, the following error message appears:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

If you choose to check the drive the next time you restart the computer, chkdsk checks the drive and corrects errors automatically when you restart the computer. If the drive partition is a boot partition, chkdsk automatically restarts the computer after it checks the drive.

Reporting disk errors

Chkdsk examines disk space and disk use for the file allocation table (FAT) and NTFS file systems. Chkdsk provides information specific to each file system in a status report. The status report shows errors found in the file system. If you run chkdsk without the /f command-line option on an active partition, it might report spurious errors because it cannot lock the drive. You should use chkdsk occasionally on each disk to check for errors.

Fixing disk errors

Chkdsk corrects disk errors only if you specify the /f command-line option. Chkdsk must be able to lock the drive to correct errors. Because repairs usually change a disk's file allocation table and sometimes cause a loss of data, chkdsk sends a confirmation message similar to the following:

10 lost allocation units found in 3 chains.

Convert lost chains to files?

If you press Y, Windows saves each lost chain in the root directory as a file with a name in the format Filennnn.chk. When chkdsk finishes, you can check these files to see if they contain any data you need. If you press N, Windows fixes the disk, but it does not save the contents of the lost allocation units.

If you do not use the /f command-line option, chkdsk sends a message if a file needs to be fixed, but it does not fix any errors.

If you use chkdsk /f on a very large disk (for example, 70 gigabytes) or a disk with a very large number of files (for example, millions of files), chkdsk might take a long time (for example, over several days) to complete. The computer is not available during this time because chkdsk does not relinquish control until it is finished.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

Have you run any rootkit detection programs? Personally, I'd think this is a Windows reporting problem - something with the Master File Table. It's also possible that there is a problem with the hard drive.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

chkdsk ran just fine. Rebbot. Same issue.

Have you run any rootkit detection programs?

No

Personally, I'd think this is a Windows reporting problem -

But it was reported in a different compouter when the hard drive was just a slave and not booted from.

It's also possible that there is a problem with the hard drive.

That was my first impression, too, but Seagate's tests say it is ok.

I really don't know what to think.

In the morning I will Killdisk, fdisk, reformat and install xp again. Let's see what happens this time. Unless you have any more ideas for me to try.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

sorry you're prob not solved. before giving up on the disk, double check your cable, change sata cable if you can, try another sata socket if available, slim chance if you've tried hd in another computer (did u use another cable then?)

also, did u run an av test? i wouldn't rely only on a hijack this scan!

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:51 AM

I've got a couple ideas - perhaps a shot in the dark here, but it might work.

1) run command then type in sfc /scanonce
This will check all your protected system files at boot up and if anything is messed up it will try to fix it. It will report anything it finds and fixes or tries to fix in the event logs. If there is a reporting error, this might fix it.

2) run command then typ in sfc /purgecache
this will purge the file cache.

I'm a bit concerned about AVG not starting up because of a missing dll. Do you know whether the missing dll is related to AVG or with the OS?

Have you tried any of the online AV scans? They might find something that is being really sneaky.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Try to find out if the extra files are defraged files. First thing is to turn off the paging file and reboot then check the free space. Second thing is after the paging file is turned back on is to use Diskeeper (Not the one from Windows) to defrag the drive and check to see after it is finished if there are any fragmented files - they show up as red and then you can check to see where they are and manually delete them or what ever needs to be done, Say if you can access them copy all of them to another media like DVD and then delete them

I think you will know what to do here.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

If the HJT log doesn't show anything and (I assume you have changed settings to show system and hidden files and folders), I would reformat and install again.

#15 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

UPDATE

I turned off system restore as recommended earlier in this thread, and it took the usuall amount of time, perhaps a minute or so, and now the computer is showing the correct amount of usage on the hard drive. That took care of that issue.

I rebooted, turned on system restore, still showing correct amount of used and free space! Yeah!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am determined to figure out WHY this happened. It has become an learning excersize at this point as I don't have a problem with scrubbing this computer and reinstalling windows. But not just yet....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry you're prob not solved. before giving up on the disk, double check your cable, change sata cable if you can, try another sata socket if available, slim chance if you've tried hd in another computer (did u use another cable then?)

Yes, I had used a different cable in the other computer.

I'm a bit concerned about AVG not starting up because of a missing dll. Do you know whether the missing dll is related to AVG or with the OS?

I don't know, but when I saw this I was thinking that it was a sign of infection. Here is the exact error message I get at bootup:

avgcc.exe - unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

also, did u run an av test? i wouldn't rely only on a hijack this scan!

I just ran Trend Micro's on line scan, clean except for some cookies.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users