Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive no longer showing up in "My Computer"

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fivelitre

fivelitre

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hey guys,

I have an Asus g75vw gaming laptop and haven't had any issues with it for the last few years.  However, today I noticed that two of my drives (I think E:/ and F:/) no longer show up in "My Computer".  These drives were basically used for Pictures/Videos/Games while I used the SSD for the OS and such.  I went to my "Disk Management" and there are four drives that show up C: and D: (which is my SSD split into 2 partitions) and then 2 blank ones with 200MB and 25GB of capacity/free space available.  First and foremost, I know the hard drive(s) (I'm not sure if it's 1 hard drive split into 2 partitions, or 2 hard drives) are larger than 25.2 GB, so I'm curious as to why this is showing up.

But also - Just wondering how I can get my drives back, and also whether I'm able to save all the files that I had on the hard drive.  Is this an issue of the hard drive failing and I lost everything? or did something maybe happen that caused these to "disappear".  I'll run whatever tests you guys need to help me out.  I thank you in advance.

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

A  solution that worked for me, just might work for you.  Within disk management, for the partitions that show up as C and D:  assign a drive letter X to either one of the partitions that you know are not on the SSD.  Then assign a drive letter Y to the other partition that you know is not on the SSD.  Restart.  Explorer will not show correctly the content of two Cs and two Ds.  Do not do anything else for now.  Let's see if C, D, X, Y show up in disk management and correctly within Explorer.exe operations.

I forgot to add earlier:  If you know that you know which of the two SSD partitions is your OS partition, make sure it is assigned drive letter C if it is not C already.  The other one we can worry about later.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 May 2016 - 08:16 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

A  solution that worked for me, just might work for you.  Within disk management, for the partitions that show up as C and D:  assign a drive letter X to either one of the partitions that you know are not on the SSD.  Then assign a drive letter Y to the other partition that you know is not on the SSD.  Restart.  Explorer will not show correctly the content of two Cs and two Ds.  Do not do anything else for now.  Let's see if C, D, X, Y show up in disk management and correctly within Explorer.exe operations.

There's four things showing up on my Disk Management program. C and D (which are both partitions of my SSD) and then 2 blank ones.  Can I make the blank ones an X and Y? or will that not work?

When I click on the blank ones, it highlights something at the bottom, one is "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" and the other is "Healthy (Recovery Partition)"  Which makes me think these two may be a part of my SSD as well?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Oh, those "blank" ones!  I believe both EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition should not normally have drive letters assigned to them; and their contents will not be viewable by Windows Explorer or you.  They probably and should reside on your SSD.  I thought you meant you had two HDs -- my error.  The last time somebody, elsewhere not here in BC, resized and filled those "blank" partitions -- they had to turn right around, pick up and boot their Windows Install DVD, and the rest is history.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 May 2016 - 08:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

Oh, those blank ones!  I believe both EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition should not normally have drive letters assigned to them; and their contents will not be viewable by Windows Explorer or you.  They probably and should reside on your SSD.  I thought you meant you had two HDs -- my error.

Well.. theoretically I do.. I should have an SSD and a HDD.  So now that I know that the blank ones are probably part of the SSD.  That means that my HDD isn't showing up at all.

I believe something like this happened to me a couple years ago as well, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did to rectify the problem.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:33 PM

Open a command prompt window and type the following.

diskpart

at the diskpart command prompt type

list disk

Do you see a disk that is the capacity of your hard drive?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

Concerning the HD, we don't want to jump to conclusions such as:

-- OMG!  ReInstall Windows and everything!

-- OMG!  Bad HD!

Calmly find the manufacturer's hard-drive utilities, create a usb or dvd boot which includes those utilities, and do some "soft-checks." Meaning as much as possible, severely limit Windows operations, the more It runs, the more it writes, deletes, writes.  Please tell me you have recent backups of that 2nd HD before all of this happened.  If yes, rejoice.  If not, the uphill climb begins.

...and do as JohnC just posted, that will help!

Edited by RolandJS, 31 May 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#8 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Open a command prompt window and type the following.

diskpart

at the diskpart command prompt type

list disk

Do you see a disk that is the capacity of your hard drive?

When I do that it comes up with one result showing : 

Disk ###        Status           Size            Free       Dyn       Gpt

Disk 0            Online          238GB          0 B                       *

With that said, it looks like my SSD (drives C and D) are 95.3GB and 117GB, respectively which adds up to 212GB.. I believe the HDD in my laptop was 500GB?  

#9 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:45 PM

Concerning the HD, we don't want to jump to conclusions such as:

-- OMG!  ReInstall Windows and everything!

-- OMG!  Bad HD!

Calmly find the manufacturer's hard-drive utilities, create a usb or dvd boot which includes those utilities, and do some "soft-checks." Meaning as much as possible, severely limit Windows operations, the more It runs, the more it writes, deletes, writes.  Please tell me you have recent backups of that 2nd HD before all of this happened.  If yes, rejoice.  If not, the uphill climb begins.

...and do as JohnC just posted, that will help!

Unfortunately I'm not a smart man and haven't backed anything up.  Which isn't a horrible thing since the only thing I'd really be upset about is my photos, the videos and stuff weren't anything extremely important.  Most of my important stuff I'll have backups up or have it on a cloud somewhere.

How do I go about finding the hard-drive utilities for my laptop?  I went to the Asus website but didn't see anything that resembled that.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:55 PM

The drive is definitely not detected by Windows. Is the drive detected in UEFI/BIOS? You may need to pull the hard drive and either place it in and enclosure or use a USB adapter. Then run diagnostics on the drive.

#11 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

The drive is definitely not detected by Windows. Is the drive detected in UEFI/BIOS? You may need to pull the hard drive and either place it in and enclosure or use a USB adapter. Then run diagnostics on the drive.

I opened BIOS to look for it, but believe I only saw one drive there, so that makes me think it's not being detected at all.  Would I be able to take it out and plug it in say, to my PC to see if it picks it up there (and backup everything while I have the chance)?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

If you have a desktop PC then you can attach it internally and see if it is detected. If it gets detected hopefully you can pull any data you need. Before doing this I would power down the PC and hold the power button down for 30 seconds then touch bare metal on the case before attaching the drive. I am not familiar with the ASUS laptop so I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the drive.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

I don't know where Asus web site keeps that specific info -- wait, where did this 2nd HD come from?

#14 fivelitre

fivelitre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

I don't know where Asus web site keeps that specific info -- wait, where did this 2nd HD come from?

I've always had it.

One SSD HD is split into 2 partitions and then one other HDD is also in the machine that is also split into 2 partitions.  The laptop came that way, wasn't something I did.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:44 PM

I've always had it.  One SSD HD is split into 2 partitions and then one other HDD is also in the machine that is also split into 2 partitions.  The laptop came that way, wasn't something I did.

Asus web site's breakout of that particular laptop should have both HD specs and diagnostic tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users