Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

command prompt volume label or syntax incorrect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare-Rex

Nightmare-Rex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

When trying to change directory on command prompt i get error "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" very strange as it IS a valid file path. i decided to do some testing and tried to change it to just "C:/" same stinking error! then i did the ultimate test and tried to "change" the directory to the directory it is currently in (C:\Windows\System32) and STILL GET THE ERROR, its NOT EVEN RECOGNIZING IT'S OWN HOME FREICKEN DIRECTORY!.

i have tried running command prompt BOTH as user AND as administrator, same symptoms. i wanted to get command prompt working to use some android abd commands, which requires directory change but now i think my whole command prompt is corrupt and wouldn't trust it. I've tried googling the problem and its often caused by long names and long directorys, both of which these are not. but saw nowhere on google saying someone cant access freaking "C".

ive changed dirrectorys in command prompt in past and never got that error. wish Microsoft didn't remove "open command prompt here" option.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

if I remember correctly you don't need to type path just "CD c:"

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

At the command prompt type the following with no quotes.

cd D:\program files\android commander\bin

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

it shouldn't need the path command as CD means change directory so you making a redundant command with CD path c:

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

I must be asleep at the wheel, I do not recognize

prompt>cd path "[path & filename]" <enter>

as being a valid DOS command.

I've done the following:

c:\>cd windows <enter>

c:\windows>cd system32 <enter>

c:\windows\system32>cd\windows <enter>

c:\windows>

Like Finding Nemo...Now, what?   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

yeah I don't believe cd path is a valid command dos will look for a directory called path in the directory it is currently in

#7 Nightmare-Rex

Nightmare-Rex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

even when i type it exactly as he sied i get the error, i don'y get these errors on the windows xp portion of my pc which is what makes it really strange and makes me belive im not doing anything wrong, tried as admin and user since aware 7 admin picker than xp.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Make sure folder exist type Dir  "D:\program files\android commander\bin"  make sure D: letter is correct as programs usually install at "C:\Program Files"  folder. If folder exist then type Cd  /D  "D:\program files\android commander\bin command.

2GvnEq2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users