Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers constantly crashing - Low memory?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dlink1001

Dlink1001

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

Hi, probably for about the last week or so i've been browsing firefox, usually 4-5 tabs open at a time, then I get an error message saying something along the lines of firefox having low memory and I should close it.

Sometimes the error message can be ignored without any problems but sometimes firefox just closes without warning and I get that other "this is embarrassing..." error message that prompts me to restore my last firefox session.

I tried chrome as well and it's even worse - I'll open a page, maybe something with a ton of pictures like a sports page, and it just closes, no warning, just abruptly goes right down.

Now I never really looked at the task manager much prior to this but looking at it now, bother firefox/chrome use a lot of memory, several hundred MB for a few tabs, with overall memory usage hovering around 93% despite the browser being the only thing currently open. Not sure if this is normal.

Now I have noticed my computer fan being a little louder than usual (although that usually stops after an hour or so) so I'm wondering if it could be an overheating issue. I've had this computer for a few years and hate to say I don't maintain it as well as I should. Is my laziness finally catching up to me?

Thanks for any contribution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

The latest version of Mozilla Firefox has a bug i myself got warning few times from Windows that computer was running out of RAM space and i should close programs to free RAM space when check the Task Manager it was Mozilla Firefox who was taking all of the free RAM space not much one can do except wait for next Mozilla Firefox upgrade version to be release hopefully this issue will be resolve with next version. You complain Mozilla Firefox take up lots of space even if there is no issue well visit Mozilla Firefox support website to find solution to Firefox taking too much RAM space. You should clean all dust and dirt from inside of your computer and fans also apply new thermal paste to CPU.

"Firefox uses too much memory (RAM) - How to fix"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram

"How to Apply Thermal Paste"

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

Edit:  It just goes to show that great minds think alike.  FreeBooter, I didn't see that I had posted a link to the same Mozilla article that you had.

Plugins and extensions can cause Firefox to use more memory.  Mozilla has suggestions for dealing with these.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram#w_disabling-memory-consuming-extensions-and-themes

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 01 June 2016 - 09:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dlink1001

Dlink1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Is there a certain thing I should be looking for with the speccy snapshot?

The only reason I ask is I have my name on the report and would rather not share it

Running only the summary It does say my CPU is running at 100C, which I find off since as I type this, my fan is as quiet as a mouse.

Edited by Dlink1001, 02 June 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

Your hdd is down to 55GB, you should consider move some of the content to another partition.

Your Speccy is only showing your first name.  I wouldn't worry about this since it doesn't show your last name.

The Speccy is showing your CPU temperature being at 98c, if this is accurate it is way to high.  We need to check the temperature using another program.  Please download Open Hardware Monitor and run it.  Please make a screen shot of the results and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Edited by dc3, 03 June 2016 - 08:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dlink1001

Dlink1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

This seems more reasonable, 51C, although still a little high, sounds more accurate than almost 100C

Attached Files

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

Because the motherboard and GPU temperatures were consistent I was dubious about the GPU temperature.  It certainly looks like there is no overheating issue.

Try running Firefox without its addons.

• Press the windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time
  • Copy and paste the following into the run box and press Enter firefox --safe-mode
  • Select Start in Safe Mode
  • Please report how Firefox is running

Edited by dc3, 04 June 2016 - 08:21 AM.

#8 Dlink1001

Dlink1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

Firefox in safe mode is about 125mb, don't know if that's considered a lot but it's a light orange colour, without safe mode it's 200. Typing this message in safe mode with only 1 tab open is quite sluggish, I actually find chrome faster

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

I just downloaded and installed Firefox to see what what the memory use is, on my computer it was 164.MB.

Chrome uses only 52.7MB.

I believe I will stick with Chrome.

#10 Dlink1001

Dlink1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

I have absolutely no clue what happened but I loaded up my computer today, checked task manager and my memory usage went down from 90% where it was during this problem back down to 20% as I type this.

Hopefully it stays this way, thanks for the help

Edited by Dlink1001, 05 June 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Let us know if it goes up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users