Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help installing PC parts one by one

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

I have not received all my parts yet, so far only the PSU, MB, and case.

Right now, I am just trying to put the PSU into my case.

This is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dyBdnn

It is my first time building a PC, so I am not sure what to do. I have tried googling around, but most of them skip the part where you put the wires into the PSU. So I have not been able to begin yet.

I noticed there is a wire with 24 pin on one side and another with 10pin+18pin (sorry if I counted pin wrong or am misunderstanding what pin is)

Was I supposed to plug that in the PSU where it says "MB" with 10 pin and "MB" with 18 pins?

edit: I found out why they skip the part where they put wires into the PSU. It was because theirs were non modular and mine is modular (which made me so confused).. But I still need him putting them in.

edit2: I think I got it right. I found a video to test if the PSU works with the testing thing that came with the PSU.

My PSU's fan is spinning for like half a second then stops spinning. Is there something wrong with this PSU?

When I turn it off, I hear a click sound and the fan moves a little bit and stops again.

edit3: Nevermind, I just turned off Eco and its working fine. Was just about to return it.

Edited by araragi, 31 May 2016 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

Here is a video on building a computer >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SpXdXdrrBk

#3 Davie702

Davie702

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

I can't believe you're only putting an i5 into that machine.. Few good parts there I've picked out for my own build, nice stuff man and I'd comment on the actual building but I imaging that vid will help you now^ aha

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

Here is a step-by-step method for installing and testing each component before assembly in the case. It assumes that you know the procedures for installing components, but this method is called a "bench build" and can save you a lot of headaches if you happen to get a bad component (it happens).

Most of these "how to" videos feature a person who gets all his components, tears open the packages and puts it all together. What they do not tell you is what to do if your computer will not boot. That is where the misery can start. With the bench build method, you can check each component as you go.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

ranchhand, you aok, man!  Bench-build, that was the term I was looking for [for another thread].  Do you remember where to find and print a listing of the sights and sounds one should be expecting from most bench builds?  For example, for most motherboard-power supply test, for most mobo-ps-1 stick of RAM test? 

Edited by RolandJS, 11 June 2016 - 08:44 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

It's not rocket science and really rewarding.  Have fun!

I won't nitpick your parts since you already bought them. 

Wait till you get all your parts and do it in one sitting so you don't forget a step or lose a part. 

2 things to keep in mind:

Don't push too hard on anything you are installing like RAM, cards or the CPU. 

Make sure you don't put on too much thermal paste. 

have all your tools ready including some long nose pliers or tweezers to pick up little parts that fall into the CPU. 

Have a magnet to hold all your little parts and a bunch of little bowls to put small parts in. 

If your screw drivers are not magnetized already, you can make them magnetic by rubbing them back and forth on a real magnet for about a minute or two.  

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Don't drop anything on the mobo - that could get costly.  And if ya want, google for a quick list of sounds you most likely will hear as you bench-build this computer piece by piece.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 June 2016 - 12:52 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

sights and sounds one should be expecting

Well, thanks for the complement, but I am not sure what you mean by "sights and sounds", sorry. The only sound that I would want to hear is from the speakers after I install the audio drivers.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

Beep codes from the motherboard onboard minispeaker, the sights should have been "lights" from diodes

Edited by RolandJS, 11 June 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

Ah, I see now. There are many websites posting beep codes from the dozens of BIOS chips out there; beep codes are a help, but can also be undependable. As far as LED readouts on the mobo, many boards do not have those, some of the higher end ones do. IMHO the best thing is to use a good power supply tester (I use two so that if I get a fail reading, or sub-normal or above-normal voltage reading on any rail, I can compare two readings from two different testers. So far my accuracy score is 100%) and test the basic setup before adding all the bells & whistles and the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users