Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please, browsers won't work


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 homeschool

homeschool

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hello, if anyone knows how to fix this please post.  It started out on my daughter's laptop using wifi (my desktop is fine and my internet connection is fine).  It kept saying DNS_probe_finished_bad_config.  Server DNS address could not be found.  It says internet is connected.  I tried using Chrome and Edge.  Same result.  I tried all the solutions I could find on the internet.  Restarted the modem.  Restarted the computer (many times).  Yes, wi-fi is enabled.  No, airplane mode is not on.

 

Then something weird happened.  I was about to run a virus scan but instead of opening Avast, I accidentally opened something called Avast SafeZone.  It was a browser, and it was working.  All sites found.  So that freaked me out.  I googled this on my pc and found a site where someone said SafeZone stopped that person's other browsers from working!  So I uninstalled Avast.  Chrome and Edge are still not working.  I see that SafeZone was installed without my knowledge in March.  It appears to be gone now though.  

 

Why would SafeZone work and not the other browsers ? Help... please... 



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

  • Members
  • 3,137 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Turkey - Adana
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

The Avast Software Uninstall Utility is a stand-alone program that will scan your computer for Avast products and uninstall all traces of them.

NetAdapter Repair All In One is a utility that acts as a Swiss army knife for network related Windows tasks.  Not only can NetAdapter Repair be used to fix common networking and winsock issues, but it also contains a variety of tools and diagnostics that enable you to change various network settings. Please note that this tool requires the .NET Framework 4.0 or higher and to run the program as an Administrator. From NetAdapter Repair All In One utility place a check marks on below lists of options.

 

Clear Host File
Clear Static IP Settings (enable DHCP)
Flush DNS Cache
Reset Internet Options Security/Privacy
Set Network Services Default
Change to Google DNS

 

Click "Run All Selected" button.

Click Advanced Repair button and from the dialog box that will open click OK button.

After restarting laptop check to see issue has been resolved.


2GvnEq2.gif


#3 homeschool

homeschool
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

I got to the part where it says "When the program has started, select the Avast program you wish to remove."

step 4.  But I can't figure out what to select.  The program is just Avast Internet Security.  Program Version 11.2.2262.  That isn't one of the options.  Please help thank you



#4 homeschool

homeschool
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Those programs did not work at all.  The 2nd one kept giving me an Unhandled Exception.  It was supposed to reset my DNS but it did not.  After reinstalling Windows which also did not help, I finally solved the problem with the following website.

 

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-change-your-dns-windows-10

 

which referred to

 

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

 

Hope that helps someone.



#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

  • Members
  • 3,137 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Turkey - Adana
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

The NetAdapter Repair All In One utility if it has work for you would have change the DNS servers to Google public DNS servers which you have done manually. Nice to hear your issue resolved.

 

 

Take Care!


2GvnEq2.gif





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users