Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

available networks not showing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Computer: HP CPQ Presario (I don't recall the model) Vista Home Premium

The computer doesn't present a list of available networks

The user wants me to set his computer back to factory condition but I cannot connect to the network at the senior center where I volunteer. The connection is by Ethernet cable.

I haven't had any issues with any Win7 or Win8.1.

Maybe it's a Vista issue, I do not know. The computer reports it's connected to the Internet.

Networking and sharing center only shows the network uses at home. At the senior center there are many available networks in the area in addition to ours.

How can I get the available networks to show?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

does the PC have wifi? if it doesn't have wifi it wont show available netwroks, itll only show the Ethernet cable plugged into it

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

@ TheTripleDeuce "does the PC have wifi? if it doesn't have wifi it wont show available netwroks, itll only show the Ethernet cable plugged into it" So true, thank you.

Yesterday I had manually entered the office network and key, restarted as requested but it didn't work.

This morning, upon boot up, it worked immediately and worked excellently all day.

I don't know what I missed yesterday but all is fine now.

Thanks again for your input.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

Check for 3rd party wireless utilities. HP has their "Wireless Assistant" which may be controlling the driver, keeping windows wireless zero from detecting the networks. Try to disable the HP utility then Windows Key+ R > services.msc > restart Windows Wireless Zero. See link below for troubleshooting tips. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01667669

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users