Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running my Win7 under a VM with factory installed Win7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

I'd like to create a "sandboxed" development environment (visual community 2015) under a virtual machine on my WIn7 machine, and I'd like it to run in Win7 in the VM, leaving the "rest" of the computer unaffected for everyday use.

When I go to set up the VM, it will ask me for OS (Win7) installation disk, which I don't have, since the OS was factory installed.   How should i proceed?

(The other option, could based VM, looks like a nightmare$$$)

Thanks for any advice.  I'm considering Virtual PC or Virtualbiox.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

dc3 gave this to another person in another post:   http://product.key-downloader.com/index.php

I'm not sure if it will help you or not.  You may need to purchase another OEM or MS Windows 7 install package.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

@RolandJS

A virtual machine operating system is a "guest" operating system which does not require a product code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Casual Browser, what is the make and model of your computer?

Do you know anyone who has a installation disc for your version of Window 7?

Microsoft  has a good tutorial for installing a VM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

@RolandJS

A virtual machine operating system is a "guest" operating system which does not require a product code.

Thanks for letting me know, appreciate it!  Scuttlebutt elsewhere [not here] gave me wrong info   :)

[Addendum:  later posts apparently back up the scuttlebutt...]

Edited by RolandJS, 31 May 2016 - 09:39 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

@RolandJS

Thanks for letting me know, appreciate it!  Scuttlebutt elsewhere [not here] gave me wrong info   :)

Take my word for it... if Casual Brouser installs Windows 7 as a VM on Windows 7 he is going to need a second activation key!  :wink:

Greets!

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

@RolandJS

I'm not sure i understand you correctly but if you are referring that when Windows OS installed under virtual environment the Windows OS does not need to be activated then i would like to inform you that you are mistaking as Windows OS needs to be activated even running from virtual environment i have many Windows OS versions running under virtual environment all had to be activated as normal usage of Windows OS does requires activation.

Edited by FreeBooter, 31 May 2016 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

This is a OEM version of Windows, I some how missed this.  Because of this they will need another product code in order to activate the virtual machine.  This is different with a retail copy of windows, you can change platforms as often as you want.

#9 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

This is a OEM version of Windows, I some how missed this.  Because of this they will need another product code in order to activate the virtual machine.  This is different with a retail copy of windows, you can change platforms as often as you want.

It doesn't matter, the only legal way is to have a second key for the VM since the original key is in use on the real machine...

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

Greets!  :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users