Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery -any Tips?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

long story short, have a Maxtor HDD that puts my PC into a BSOD reboot loop so i ran powermax and it determined that my drive was screwed and gave me 'diagnostics error - de9aa975'. i found this page
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor....php?p_faqid=538
on the error codes and that code above is not really an error code at all, only a reference.
in powermax i did the following,
checked the 'installation confirmation' - that passed
checked the 'basic quick test' - full read scan was recommended
checked the 'advanced test (full read scan)' and after 10 seconds it came back with the diagnostics code and said that 'this drive is failing and must be replaced, if you do not have a recent backup, then you should make one now blah blah blah'.
so now the question is, is there anyway that i can use data recovery software to get any data back? otherwise its 200gigs of stuff gonzo.
any recommendations?
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:40 PM

There are free programs that will allow you to clone your harddrive. One is:www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

great tip! and its all free software, gonna try it out now, thank you!!!
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
ASUS P6T WS PRO
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

#4 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

ok, here's what i have done now.
went into the power maxx program during boot up, did a 'quick format' which then told me it would relpace the first 300MB with zero's and then the last 100MB with zero's. i'm not even sure what that means?
now i'm trying to recover the data using PC inspector and a few other programs.
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
ASUS P6T WS PRO
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

Don't use the drive if you plan on recovering stuff from it - each access increases the chance that the data you want to recover will be overwritten.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

did a 'quick format'

Why?

#7 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

the problem is solved!!!! thanks to a few forum posts, some great advice and A LOT of screwing around with recovery programs. :inlove:
the one that worked for me is called 'recover my files' and it works very very very well if anyone is in a similar situation. :thumbsup: :flowers:
it took about 25 hours to do a complete scan of the 180gig drive for picture and movie files. was able to get about 80% of everything back, EVEN things that i had 'deleted' many months before the drive crashed. this being my first experience with data recovery i was super impressed at the amount of things one can recover months after a deletion. some of the movie files recovered were 150gigs in size and i'm not sure what they were so i just ignored them.
otherwise, i'm pretty happy and want to thank you all for your help :trumpet:
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
ASUS P6T WS PRO
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users