Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

I've been putting this off for a while but will need to make some changes soon so I'm asking for some advice.

I have a windows 7 machine with a 500GB hdd that I plan on upgrading to a 1Tb drive.  I bought it months and months ago and just haven't done it yet. My current drive is about 40(ish) Gb shy of being full... and there has been some performance issues as of late...  so, I need to get running with the new one soon.

I have SOME plans on possibly upgrading to windows 10 but I haven't made a decision on that.  What I am considering is partitioning the new drive when I install it and creating a dual boot with linux.  You know, in case microsoft starts using their mind control to take over the world and I decided I need to stop using it.  There's a chance I might not ever or often use the linux partition but it's nice to have it on there just in case. 

I've done this kind of thing before but I don't do it often enough to retain all that info.  ha.  I can google the steps but though I'd ask some tips.  Best way to install a linux OS?  CD?  flash drive?  Suggested partition size for installation? 

and, which linux is recommended?  Months ago I did some online comparisons and it seemed that Mint was the most recommended for something that was more like windows and easy to use.  Since then they had some security issue that sounded concerning but that might not be a problem today???  Opinions?

I've used Ubuntu before and that wasn't too bad but seemed kind of empty out of the box... 
Chances are it's not something I'd be using every day anyway but, it would be good to put something in there that I'll be happy with "just in case" I need it as a go to some day.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Ideally I wouldn't mind building a machine from the ground up but I don't think that's happening today... so... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Best way to install a linux OS?  CD?  flash drive? 

I would say flash drive, but sometimes there can be issues booting from certain flash drives, or/and using USB 3.0 Ports, you won't know till you try.  To be safe perhaps just use a 2.0 Flash and boot from a 2.0 Port, that's up to you.  There are others here that can guide you with this aspect if needed.  There is another topic about this if you scroll down a little at this Forum.  There is nothing wrong with the DVD either, because Linux installs so much faster than Windows it don't matter all that much.

Suggested partition size for installation? and, which linux is recommended? 

Some of the gurus here suggest at least 20GB if just wanting to get started with it all.  This would be somewhat determined by you and your needs/wants.  Yes to using Mint!  This would be my first choice and there is nothing wrong with security now.  They had an issue but it is all taken care of.  I've been running Mint for two years and no security issues at all, and I'm sure most Mint users would say the same thing, love it!

First off you will have to get your Windows 7 swapped over to new drive etc. and then install Linux after Windows, and there is no need to Pre-Partition for Linux.  You can just leave some space for linux at the end of the drive.  And don't forget, linux can be run in a LinuxLiveSession.  That means you can just boot it from DVD/USB and take it for a test and not make any changes to your current Windows 7 Install.

Here is a link to one of the more popular linux distro's - Cinnamon - that would be fine for your computer.  There are others, so you can try any that you want.  Just choose a "Mirror" closest to you for the download.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=204

And here is my favorite Software to create a bootable USB Drive

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Good luck, and post back when you need more info, I'm sure others will chime in soon also. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

I don't think there really is a best way to boot an OS on a system. Really just whatever works for you the best is fine. I use DVDs a lot (mostly cause I have quite a few lying around).

Mint is a good Linux OS to try out first. I use Ubuntu myself mostly. The interface may not be as easy to pick up as Mint's, but it really isn't difficult. Ubuntu isn't "empty" either... though I am not entirely sure what you meant by that.

As far as the partition size... if you are going to just try it out I would say go for 20 - 40 GB of space. Gives you enough to install things and play around with out running the risk of not enough space.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

For me USB thumbdrives are the best, I have had many bad DVD burns

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

This would be my first choice and there is nothing wrong with security now.  They had an issue but it is all taken care of

There was something wrong with Linux Mint security?  If by that you mean the recent forum hack then you need to think again Linux Mint the Operating system was NOT compromised, somebody hacked some forum software and replaced the ISO with a hacked ISO, and even this wasnt a major issue if you did the MD5 check.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

Yes, thanks for clarifying Nick!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere