Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still not sure...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have a hard time making some decisions in life and upgrading to windows 10 is a rather complicated decision with the variety of opinions...    <---underlined to stress the meaning of that word.  :)

I see people bragging about upgrading and being VERY happy with it... saying it works better and it's the best windows yet.   And, I still see people fighting this to the death saying how evil it is and how everyone should avoid it at all costs.  There's SO much info out there it makes my head spin... I can't keep quite informed enough and I hate making decisions without being informed.  But, what does it mean to be informed on this?  Two people can know the same things about the OS and feel differently about it. 

Even here...  I can speculate the responses here.  Some will say "it's good, try it." and some will say "stay away at all costs, 7 is better", and others will tell me that if I'm unsure, not to bother.  Those are all opinions...  ultimately, yes, it's my opinion that matters but, I don't know what my opinion is.  And that's frustrating.

I have a windows 7 machine that could be running better...  I have a new hdd that I still have not installed but plan to.  I am considering a dual boot with linux that I may or may not ever use...  just in case...  but, I am still torn on the windows 10 thing.  Part of me wants to stick with windows 7 to not compromise anything but, can I say that windows 10 is going to be a bigger security or privacy risk than windows 7 is or will become?  Biggest detraction from upgrading is windows media center.  I have no idea why they'd do away with that.  That's how I watch tv sometimes through a tv tuner card.  There are ways around that, apps you can download etc...  so that's not a deal breaker by any means.

I consider windows 10 for simple reasons...  newer OS's usually work better overall... startup speeds, etc.  Privacy issues aside, newer operating systems are typically "better" in some good ways.  I'm also interested in the apps... games and other apps that can be found for free and might be fun.  There are free games on windows 8 even that you simply cannot get on windows 7.  This is not a life or death matter by any means...  but, it's one of the things I'm interested in when it comes to upgrading. 

To make an informed opinion you really need to weigh the options...  the pros and cons... 
But, I'm having a difficult time making those comparisons.  I've been going back and forth for months and months.  I want this "new" thing yet, I don't want to regret it later...  neither side is winning and that frustrates me.  HA. 

I've scrolled through some of the discussions and I see other people are pretty firm in what they believe but, they're all divided.  The people for it are all for it... the people against it are all against it. 

IF someone messes with enough of the settings, are the privacy concerns really much worse than anything someone not using windows 10 faces?  People practically sign their lives away to many of the websites they sign up to...  never reading privacy policies.  I mean, it seems the only way to be safe, secure, and anonymous online is to not be online.  How much more is windows 10 spying on you?  And what are the chances that after the free upgrade, the older versions of windows wont all of the sudden have just as much to worry about?

I hope people can understand and even be patient with my frustration and confusion here.  I've tried talking about this before with varying opinions... some of them bordering upon rude.  There are some that will tell you that you're an idiot to upgrade... with some sort of attitude that I simply don't understand.  What's it to you what someone else does with their computer?  How does it affect you in such a way that you'd talk down to others about this topic?  I don't understand that.

Lots of thoughts and uncertainties...  I wish there was a very simple yet well informed list of reasons why a person should or should not... that were not merely opinion. 

I've been okay holding off on the decision but the deadline for the FREE(I'm poor) upgrade is approaching...  right now my decision not to upgrade can change...  after that date, if I still haven't upgraded it will be too late for me.  The finality in that decision leaves me a little anxious.  It needs to be a decision I'm at peace with... 

wish I trusted technology... or should I say, I wish technology gave me a reason to trust it today.  oh I could go on... ha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Have you made recently at least one if not two full image OS and data partition backups onto at least one if not two external HDs?  If not, please make them.  If yes, there is no harm in trying Windows 10.  

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Given the degree of sophistication exhibited in your post, and since it seems virtually certain that you can create a full system image backup before upgrading, I really don't see what you have to lose by trying out Windows 10.

Not that there aren't too sides to every coin, but when you're reviewing information that's out there keep two things in mind, one of which is an old adage, "If it seems too good to be true it probably is," along with its logical converse, "If it seems too bad to be true it probably isn't."

I've got a Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 machine in my household.  After doing a quick run-through on the privacy settings upon my upgrade to Windows 10, setting them to my liking, and using tools to analyze the volume of data going to Microsoft afterward I have to say that the "full system health" settings, which are virtually all I left on, do not send much data at all.  It certainly doesn't send enough data on a monthly basis to make the term "spying" meaningful to me.  Since I turned off my advertising ID, do not have Cortana set up as a digital assistant nor returning web results, and don't use OneDrive (not that I'd really worry about that last one in particular since you should know what using Cloud storage implies) there's not much more than you see if you do the same sort of traffic analysis on Windows 7, which also included telemetry as all modern OSes do.

I really liked and still continue to like Windows 7.  I never liked Windows 8/8.1 even after I learned how to use it well--it jettisons far too much that any Windows user of longstanding found familiar and comforting to make the improvements, and there are some, worth the trouble to me.  Windows 10 is, if you take the time to review your privacy settings and set them up as you think they should be, to me the perfect marriage of all that was good about Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with a lot of useful new features thrown in for good measure.

I'd advise you to simply try it and see what you think.  You have the option to go back to Windows 7 for thirty days after performing the upgrade, and that tends to be plenty of time to form your own opinion for yourself.  That's really the best way to finally settle for yourself what you think and with very little risk as part of the process.  It's a far simpler, and better, way to come to a firm conclusion that's entirely your own and entirely based upon your own personal experience.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

"...I'd advise you to simply try it and see what you think...to form your own opinion for yourself.  That's really the best way to finally settle for yourself what you think and with very little risk as part of the process...come to a firm conclusion that's entirely your own and entirely based upon your own personal experience."  Britechguy

Words of gold upon a platter of silver; do it!  --After you have made your backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:52 AM

Hi millipede,

Just to add my 2 cents, I agree with all that's been said,

I would most defiantly make a full system image of your windows 7 first, the rollback (available for 30 days) is buggy at best and is known to corrupt some scheduled tasks (repairable though),

so if you were to rollback use the created system image(7).

If you do upgrade for free and like windows 10 all well and good, but if not make a full system back up windows 10 and save this, because your windows 10 is now activated you can use windows 7 for a couple of years and reinstall

your windows 10 backup for free with no need to activate(already done)

I wont go into the pro's and con's  of 10 that's your decision

Ideally backups should be made regularly whatever the OS   

Good luck 

Hedge

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

Post #4 "...After you have made your backups..."
And these are words of platinum. Whatever you plan to do, make backups. System images are an extremely wise thing to have, and not just because you might like to try changing operating system and want the option to return if you don't like the change/the change goes badly. System images, and other backup types too, can be really helpful for things like getting your system back to a clean state after viral infection. They should be literally the first thing one does on a new computer, and having some made at times when the computer is in good working order with all your programs and settings as you like them is really wise too, will save you time if you ever have to use the image, because all you need to do after restoring to the image is a little updating of some things rather than needing to start from a factory default state and: install all your programs again/set all your system settings again/remove unwanted bloatware again/set all your program settings again.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual

Other than backing up your files, a separate task to this, making a system image is just about the most valuable thing you can do.

As for whether to upgrade, remember that it's your decision, don't let GWX try to make it for you. Look at all the arguments you can for and against, then when you've decided on your course of action make sure to check all the details about how to do whatever it is you decide to do. As a tip why not find someone you know who has a windows 10 machine, ask if you can have a look for a few minutes, ask them to "show you round it", a little tour of it's pros and cons by someone who's using it. Having a look at a machine with it on won't tell you everything that arguments for and against can, some things aren't immediately obvious, but it might well tell you things arguments cannot, specifically whether it is the system for YOU. Because all arguments are written by people who have thoughts of their own, their views might well not match yours, the best way to make decisions is to try and get a look at the thing itself rather than just listen to discussion of it. Taking a look at a machine with it on will let you know the answer to the question "Is this something I might like to try more of, in which case I'll try upgrade but have backups and reverting methods ready incase, or is this something I want nothing more to do with?".

Edited by rp88, 03 June 2016 - 01:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

Post #4 "...After you have made your backups..."
And these are words of platinum.

As for whether to upgrade, remember that it's your decision, don't let GWX try to make it for you. Look at all the arguments you can for and against, then when you've decided on your course of action make sure to check all the details about how to do whatever it is you decide to do. As a tip why not find someone you know who has a windows 10 machine, ask if you can have a look for a few minutes, ask them to "show you round it", a little tour of it's pros and cons by someone who's using it. Having a look at a machine with it on won't tell you everything that arguments for and against can, some things aren't immediately obvious, but it might well tell you things arguments cannot, specifically whether it is the system for YOU. Because all arguments are written by people who have thoughts of their own, their views might well not match yours, the best way to make decisions is to try and get a look at the thing itself rather than just listen to discussion of it. Taking a look at a machine with it on will let you know the answer to the question "Is this something I might like to try more of, in which case I'll try upgrade but have backups and reverting methods ready incase, or is this something I want nothing more to do with?".

Agree that one shouldn't let GWX, or anything else make that decision for you and that taking Windows 10 for a test drive on someone else's machine is a good idea, too.  However, that being said, one also has to take into account how and whether that person has customized Windows 10.  The "Cortana Experience" doesn't even exist on my machine because I tweaked settings such that Cortana is, for all practical intents and purposes, precisely what Windows Search had been.

You say, "Look at all the arguments you can for and against,"  which it appears that the original poster (OP) has been doing and is at the root of thehis or her state of indecision.  Later you say, " the best way to make decisions is to try and get a look at the thing itself rather than just listen to discussion of it.," which circles straight back to the advice I gave.

At this juncture, and with the degree of tech sophistication displayed by the OP, the most reasonable approach is to give it a firsthand try and revert if you don't like it.  All the reading in the world is not going to resolve this and the amount of passion (on both sides) sheds far more heat than light, which does nothing but generate confusion.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users