Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub, Freezing And The Blue Screen Of Death!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 X-RAY

X-RAY

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi everyone.

I need some serious help. Recently, my computer has begun to either freeze or go to the Blue Screen of Death. When I restart the computer one of two things will happen. Either the computer will boot up normally and then go to the Grub Multi-Boot screen (multiple hard-drives: Windows XP, Suse Linux 9.1) OR the computer will do all of the pre-load checks and then the screen will remain black with only "Grub" being displayed. Once this comes up, the only thing that I can do is press ctrl-alt-del to restart the computer and hope that it works normally. So far, it seems completely random whether my computer will load properly or if it will go to this screen.

While my computer was running, I was able to run a Spybot-S&D Scan and schedule an Avast! Antivirus Bootscan which retrospectively found three adaware files and 1 virus. They have been deleted. I also was able to use Crapcleaner to clean the computer and perform a couple of registry fixes as well as using another seperate registry cleaner.

One more thing to mention, twice, while running an Adaware scan, the computer has bolloxed up - Once to the BSOD and once freezing. However, before it froze on the second attempt, it did find one problem with a registry key. Just thought that might be the problem...

(Two recent installations - Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion AND PowerISO. I thought that PowerISO might have done something to the boot by creating a Virtual Drive [bit of a blank area for me so sorry if thats bull] so I uninstalled it but to no avail).

So, can anyone give me some help before I'm forced to spend money to get it fixed? Thanks guys.

p.s. Whenever the computer freezes, the computer quietens down and then there is a noticable click from the tower and then an almost complete stop to any noise...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Could you give the exact error message posted on the BSOD?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 X-RAY

X-RAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Unfortunately, being the idiot I am, I never wrote it down. The BSOD only came up after a lengthy session of Oblivion and I don't even have the time to start the game before the computer crashes again, sorry. If it comes up again, i'll be sure to post the exact details. :thumbsup:

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

p.s. Whenever the computer freezes, the computer quietens down and then there is a noticable click from the tower and then an almost complete stop to any noise...

Do the fans/s shut off too?

#6 X-RAY

X-RAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:01 AM

Well, I just got up and attempted another adaware scan, after about 4 minutes, the BSOD came up:

"KERNEL-STACK-INPAGE-ERROR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC000000E, 0XC000000E, 0X00000000, 0X04E8E000)"

Another thing, before the BSOD, Adaware found a single bad registry key. I cancelled the scan and checked what it was. It was simply called "Windows" and I couldn't find any information about it. So I quarantined it and restarted the scan. It came up again and a few minutes after came the BSOD.

I'll get back to you on the fan when the computer next freezes.

#7 X-RAY

X-RAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:29 AM

Another BSOD came up as the computer was loading up.

***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x87269628, 0x8726979C, 0X805FA7A8)

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

See if anything in the following Microsoft knowledgebase article applies:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;330100

And the aumha org page here:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic