Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can my motherboard output video without its cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xdecora

Xdecora

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hey im getting into PC's building. My friend gave me a older computer he had lying around (without a CPU or heatsink). Just wanted to know if i could assess the bios without having the CPU in the motherboard. It does have a GPU built on the motherboard. It powers on and all the components start working but still doesn't output. Didn't know if there was a trick I didn't know about.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:10 AM

I wouldn't think that it would, but I'm not an expert at this.
I"d suggest asking over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Xdecora

Xdecora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

Thanks I will

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:32 PM

Hi Exdecora...the first thing you need to find out is what socket mount your motherboard (mobo) has. The reason is this: any CPU that you can use must mount to the mother board, and the socket number is what will determine that. Without that you can not go any further.

If the computer is an OEM (retail type, off-the-shelf computer) please post the make and model number, and hopefully we can find what mobo it uses and what socket it is.

General information: the computer will get power to the fans, etc. but without the CPU it is a body without a brain. Nothing will show on your monitor and there will be no recognition of a mouse or keyboard. Most likely you will need to scan Ebay for many of the parts (including the CPU) and hopefully the prices will not be too bad. Unfortunately, older legacy hardware is priced high because it is not manufactured any more, but until we know exactly what you have there is no way of telling.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Xdecora

Xdecora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi Exdecora...the first thing you need to find out is what socket mount your motherboard (mobo) has. The reason is this: any CPU that you can use must mount to the mother board, and the socket number is what will determine that. Without that you can not go any further.

If the computer is an OEM (retail type, off-the-shelf computer) please post the make and model number, and hopefully we can find what mobo it uses and what socket it is.

General information: the computer will get power to the fans, etc. but without the CPU it is a body without a brain. Nothing will show on your monitor and there will be no recognition of a mouse or keyboard. Most likely you will need to scan Ebay for many of the parts (including the CPU) and hopefully the prices will not be too bad. Unfortunately, older legacy hardware is priced high because it is not manufactured any more, but until we know exactly what you have there is no way of telling.

I have a Asus m3n ht Deluxe motherboard and it supports Am2+ socket. Been having trouble finding out what Cpu's it supports its kind of an old motherboard and no one really sells anything older than Am3 Cpu's from what i can tell

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

This is what you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6393KD2457&cm_re=AMD_Phenom_Quad-Core_Processor-_-9SIA6393KD2457-_-Product

Main page, be careful to make sure the socket is spec'd at AM2/AM2+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=AMD+Phenom+Quad-Core+Processor&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I know nothing about this seller, evidently it is coming from China. Read the users' reviews carefully and if there are a lot of complaints pass on it. Read the return policy carefully. If you need a heatsink, peruse the Newegg page carefully, you may be able to find one. Don't forget, you will need a heatsink fan also. That is not so difficult, there are a lot of fans that may fit. Make sure the CPU_FAN socket will fit the plug on whatever fan you get. Most of these fans mount by just two screws that "squash" down into the heatsink fins, nothing complicated. If you need memory sticks also, better check that out before ordering just to make sure that you can get everything you need.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users