Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Latency Compared to Others In Same Area

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chiki

Chiki

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

When completing a speedtest or just pinging a server in CMD I average 100+ ping (I live in remote north-west Australia - just moved here.) I can ping into Perth (closest major server other than Geraldton where latency is even higher although it is closer) and receive roughly 125 ms latency. A relative who lives one suburb away which is less than 2km's away from me but also roughly the same distance from the exchange gets 50-70 ms when pinging to servers in Perth. Would this be a line problem or something I should contact my ISP about? I don't believe my router is causing the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Both of you try a traceroute(tracert) to where ever your pinging and compare them. Different ISP typically use different peers to connect to the internet, which takes different routes, which is probably the different in latency your seeing. If you want though, post your tracert for review to see if there are any obvious latency spikes. See link below on how to use tracert.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314868

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users