Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to completely remove wifi settings for a network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DAE1948

DAE1948

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

The Win10 laptop is acting bizarre.  So long as it is not connected to the
wifi system, all other machines (tablet, smart TV) get a wifi signal.

But when this laptop is connected to the internet by wifi, after a random length of time,
it stops loading pages, and eventually times out. (though still connected to wifi).  As soon
as this happens, any other device using wifi also locks up. 

When we disconnect the laptop from that network, wifi for the other machines
immediately works again.

What steps do we need to do to fully clean the settings used by this
Win10 laptop for this network?  The idea is to make Win 10 completely
forget this network, then let it discover it and regenerate what it uses
for connecting to a new network.

It is not a hardware problem. We took the laptop to another location and connected to wifi there
with no problems.  Other devices work fine with the modem/router.  The problem only happens
with this one laptop connected to this particular network.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 May 2016 - 07:48 AM.
moved from Windows 10 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

This is way outta my league! 

You can right click on the network in Settings...Network & Internet...WiFi...Manage WiFi Settings
Then click on the network and tell it to Forget it.
Also, you can reset TCP/IP/Winsock by using an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt.
Run these 3 commands, pressing Enter after each one.  Then reboot for the setting to take effect>

netsh int tcp reset   (then press Enter)
netsh int ip reset   (then press Enter)
netsh winsock reset   (then press Enter)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 May 2016 - 07:49 AM.
deleted suggestion to post in Networking after topic moved to Networking.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

I have only seen a post like this a couple of times in 10 years.

One time it was the router and a firmware update fixed the issue.

The other I never saw a resolution.

I think this is a layer 1 and 2 issue not a layer 3 issue.  That means we look at hardware and drivers.  See if there is a update for the router and/or the wifi card driver in the Win10 laptop

#4 DAE1948

DAE1948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

I think this is a layer 1 and 2 issue not a layer 3 issue.  That means we look at hardware and drivers.  See if there is a update for the router and/or the wifi card driver in the Win10 laptop

We connected the laptop to a different network for wifi (different location).  It was on for hours, and worked just fine.  

All the other devices using wifi on the modem/router (which is new) work fine by themselves.  

We brought another PC over and it worked fine too.

Until the laptop is connected.

When connected to this network, it connects fine at first, but usually within minutes it can't

access the internet any more (spinning circles or time out messages).  Once it does that, everything else

on the wifi network has the problem.  Turn off the wifi connection to the laptop (from system tray) and

boom!  all the other devices are back to normal.

Update:  

Tried the netsh ... suggestions above.  They did not resolve it.  

Updated the Realtek network adaptor drivers in the laptop. That did not resolve it.

Open to any other suggestions, beside reinstalling Win10.

Edited by DAE1948, 01 June 2016 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users