Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM usage increases overtime (Memory leak?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pega6

Pega6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

For about the past week now, my RAM usage has been gradually increasing overtime. Basically after an hour another GB will be in use by apparently nothing and that will keep repeating and I can't clear it unless I restart my PC. I've tried scanning for virus' with Malwarebytes and tried refreshing the paging file and neither worked. I've looked through task manager (with all processes shown) and resource manager and neither of them add up to what the current amount of RAM that is being used.

Any help would be appreciated as this is starting to get annoying.

Cheers,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

- Did you install a program about one week ago ? Some programs simply have lousy memory management, they claim more and more memory without releasing any of it.

- The file cache could be growing & growing and the (size of the) cache doesn't show up in Task Manager. The file cache isn't part of the "Standby" memory but part of the "In Use" memory. (See Resource Monitor)

- Install PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes (or any other user defined interval) and let it also collapse the file cache. (Google's Chrome & Firefox are very stubborn and won't release too much memory).

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

http://www.pcwintech.com/about-cleanmem

Cleanmem pushes data from "In Use" to "Standby" and NOT to the pagefile. And the larger the "Standby" is, the better.

Keep me posted.

#3 Pega6

Pega6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

I've installed the cleanmem program and used it to clean memory and clean the file cache but they both only had a very small impact (around -0.05GB).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users