Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card, No Relief From Bad Fps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Well I had a X800 pro and one day started getting 0-15 fps on bf2. So i figured since I overclocked it here and there it burned out or something. Bought a 7900gt and installed it today and not much of a difference, maybe a few fps higher. I did a memory test w/memtest86 the other day and got 116 errors in an hour. I was overclocking my amd3700 san diego to 2.4, making my ram overclocked too, which was the value crap.

After turning my clock back to 2.2 i tested mem for about 30 mins and got no errors, which doesnt really mean much since the program prolly didnt get to the stuff that it was erroring on. Still no difference though, I have 2gigs of OCZ platinum coming tomorrow but do you think thats the problem?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Damage to the graphics card from overclocking will not cause you to loose performance, but rather cause artifacts and stuff, like wierd colors and black splotches.

You should use a memory divider on the RAM, if you are going outside what it can overclock.

But I doubt that is what is causing the slowdown. I would bet it is software related. Driver conflicts or malware or some such.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

I've got adaware, spybot sd, windows defender and aol spyware checks, and a few virus scanners. I do at least one scan of each a day, plus I actually just formated my HD to instal Windows XP Pro. I'm pretty sure its not software related, even though I don't understand how one day it works fine and the next its terrible? Especially when I didn't even change anything. Any ideas?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

I've got adaware, spybot sd, windows defender and aol spyware checks, and a few virus scanners.

You got several anti-spyware and anti-virus scanners o the machine? That would be a problem.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

I don't have any running in the backround besides AVG when I would like it too, the other virus program is from microsoft and does not offer real time. As for the spyware you can have as many as you want as long as they are not in real time at the same time. Software is not an issue anyways seeing as how everything was running fine the way it is now a couple weeks ago and for almost a year before that. Any good ideas?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

I don't have any running in the backround besides AVG when I would like it too, the other virus program is from microsoft and does not offer real time. As for the spyware you can have as many as you want as long as they are not in real time at the same time. Software is not an issue anyways seeing as how everything was running fine the way it is now a couple weeks ago and for almost a year before that.

As more and more of the scanners start using kernel level drivers which they will load whether or not you are using real-time scanning the situation is not that simple any more.

A couple of general questions:
Is the performance loss general? Or is is specific to games or to BF2?
What changed? Did you install anything? Did the computer crash? Did anything auto-update?
You were overclocking? Are you running at stock now?
Have you tried to run memtest over night to see if it catches any errors?
What are your hardware specs?

#7 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

The performance loss seems to be all games, but especially bf2. I didn't instal anything new but there may have been an automatic update or something I missed? But then again after I started getting this problem I formatted the HD and installed Windows XP Pro since I was running Home. I bought 2 gigs of OCZ Ram and it did nothing either so that goes down as an upgrade I suppose. My specs are AMD 3700 SanDiego@ 2.2, Geforce 7900GT, Asus A8n-e, Thermaltake 430W, 2gig OCZ, Raptor HD, and a dvd player and cd burner... I appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

You said that you were overclocking? Did you lock the PCI/AGP bus to 33/66? If not that could very well damage the AGP slot.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

I honestly don't know how to lock it. I would assume through BIOS but I didn't mess around with any of that prior to the problem...

#10 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Any other idea guys? What would be the next step for me to take, new motherboard?

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Have you tried to Restore Defaults in BIOS in case there is some wierd setting wrong somewhere.

#12 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Yea I actually updated them to make sure that wasnt the problem. Everything was reset from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users